56 °
    58 °
    60 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    62 °
    59 °
    56 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    50 °
    53 °
    56 °
    59 °
May 5
64°/ 42°
Sunny
May 6
68°/ 47°
Sunny
May 7
68°/ 52°

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

56 °
    58 °
    60 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    64 °
    62 °
    59 °
    56 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    50 °
    53 °
    56 °
    59 °
May 5
64°/ 42°
Sunny
May 6
68°/ 47°
Sunny
May 7
68°/ 52°

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

Are four-year college degrees necessary for jobs?

Graduating from college and getting your degree.
Designed by Asha Abdi

Having four-year degrees has traditionally helped people be selected for a job due to the knowledge received at an accredited institution. Some jobs that people apply for require degrees that need seven to even eight years of college while some can vary from one to three years. Across the United States, some employers require four years of college. This requirement benefits individuals by providing real-world experience and accreditation for employers and helps hopefully ensure their business acquires the best personnel. 

The reason why people go to school is to prepare them for life and for the careers that they have set for themselves after college. For example, jobs stretching from the medical field, law, architecture, education, and finance are essential to society. And with these jobs it would be very beneficial to fully understand what that person is going to be doing or even teaching others in their preferred career field. 

While going to school is important the rules and requirements have changed currently for the state of MInnesota. 

On Monday, Oct. 30, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz signed an executive order removing college degree requirements for more than 75 percent of jobs in the state of Minnesota. The executive order provides Minnesotans greater access to employment and career development. In 2018, there was a poll taken on American Experiment on needing four years of college for a job. Furthermore, 22 percent of people agreed that people should earn a four-year college degree from an accredited institution. While the other 66 percent agreed that people should only be required to obtain the knowledge or skills needed to do a specific job in today’s economy. In particular, the data shows that individuals agree with Walz’s executive order.  

Since Walz’s new state requirements for the four-year degrees have been removed, the effects on citizens of Owatonna have been apparent. 

“I think that in a lot of cases four-year degrees are necessary, depending on the level of that person’s responsibilities and on others I don’t think that it’s necessary if the job doesn’t require it.” 

— Mr. Coleman

At OHS Career Pathways Navigator Brian Coleman said, “I think that in a lot of cases four-year degrees are necessary, depending on the level of that person’s responsibilities and on others I don’t think that it’s necessary if the job doesn’t require it.” 

Coleman helps many students find careers for after high school, which sets a good path for them so they are prepared. Sophomore Lauren Thurnau said, “I’m for keeping the requirement of needing the four-year college degrees because it gives you more and better opportunities.” In her future, she plans on going to college for the full four years, so that she feels confident she will know how to do her job. 

The requirements and rules for four-year degrees are changing in the state of Minnesota, helping individuals with finding a job. Furthermore, the executive order also helps individuals be hired in specific occupations. When students get their degree that depends what job they get, but now they have more freedom and flexibility into their career and allow for more opportunities to open up. 

Asha Abdi
Asha Abdi, Writer
Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi likes to play her instrument in a trio at weddings, hangout with friends, spend time with family, and has recently gotten a job. She joined OHS Magnet because she wants to make a career out of writing and to improve her writing skills.