77 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    79 °
    80 °
    82 °
    82 °
    82 °
July 12
78°/ 62°
Sunny
July 13
83°/ 66°
Thundery outbreaks in nearby
July 14
86°/ 70°
Partly Cloudy

77 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    79 °
    80 °
    82 °
    82 °
    82 °
July 12
78°/ 62°
Sunny
July 13
83°/ 66°
Thundery outbreaks in nearby
July 14
86°/ 70°
Partly Cloudy

Bringing the light to the OHS Cash Drive

All+proceeds+during+the+OHS+Cash+Drive+will+be+donated+to+Rachels+Light.+
Photo Submitted by Student Council
All proceeds during the OHS Cash Drive will be donated to Rachel’s Light.

The Cash Drive is an event put on by the OHS student council to help raise money for an organization of the school’s choosing. This year, the cash drive will be the week of November 13-17 and donations will support Rachel’s Light. Rachel’s Light is an organization that gives safe housing options for women and children in the community who are experiencing homelessness. 

On Monday, Nov 13, there will be a pepfest to kick off Cash Drive week. Students will have the opportunity to donate money during the pepfest. Student council member Jaedynn Tjon said, “My favorite part about the cash drive is the pepfest because it’s where we raise the most money and it’s super fun.”

This pepfest is one of a kind. If $500 is raised, Mr. Brandon Noble will shave his head and if $1,000 is raised, OHS senior Keanan Larson will shave his head. In addition to the heads being shaved, there will be a game of musical chairs and a dance performed by the juniors and seniors on the dance team as well as some teachers. 

Throughout the week there will be many opportunities to donate to Rachel’s Light. On Monday night, from 6-8 p.m. you can go to Wagner’s Lunch to eat, play pool, and enter a raffle. With every purchase you make, $1 will be donated to Rachel’s Light. On Tuesday Nov, 14 from 8 – 10 p.m. student council is hosting a basketball extravaganza in the gym at the high school. It is $5 to play and $1 to watch. On Friday, Nov 17, NHS is hosting a pickleball tournament and students are asked to bring items such as toiletries to donate to Rachel’s Light. During lunch you can buy a sucker for $1 that you can send to yourself or somebody else. 

In addition to all of the fun activities, there will also be dress up days to participate in. Monday will be PJ day, Tuesday will be “rhyme without reason” some examples are ‘PJ and DJ’ or ‘wild west and princess’ etc. Wednesday will be groutfit, Thursday will be “Barbie and Ken” and Friday will be jersey day. 

This is an annual fundraiser held by student council to help OHS give back to the community.

Ava Flemke
Ava Flemke, Writer
Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.