49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
April 27
58°/ 51°
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
52°/ 44°

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
April 27
58°/ 51°
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
52°/ 44°

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

Bringing the light to the OHS Cash Drive

All+proceeds+during+the+OHS+Cash+Drive+will+be+donated+to+Rachels+Light.+
Photo Submitted by Student Council
All proceeds during the OHS Cash Drive will be donated to Rachel’s Light.

The Cash Drive is an event put on by the OHS student council to help raise money for an organization of the school’s choosing. This year, the cash drive will be the week of November 13-17 and donations will support Rachel’s Light. Rachel’s Light is an organization that gives safe housing options for women and children in the community who are experiencing homelessness. 

On Monday, Nov 13, there will be a pepfest to kick off Cash Drive week. Students will have the opportunity to donate money during the pepfest. Student council member Jaedynn Tjon said, “My favorite part about the cash drive is the pepfest because it’s where we raise the most money and it’s super fun.”

This pepfest is one of a kind. If $500 is raised, Mr. Brandon Noble will shave his head and if $1,000 is raised, OHS senior Keanan Larson will shave his head. In addition to the heads being shaved, there will be a game of musical chairs and a dance performed by the juniors and seniors on the dance team as well as some teachers. 

Throughout the week there will be many opportunities to donate to Rachel’s Light. On Monday night, from 6-8 p.m. you can go to Wagner’s Lunch to eat, play pool, and enter a raffle. With every purchase you make, $1 will be donated to Rachel’s Light. On Tuesday Nov, 14 from 8 – 10 p.m. student council is hosting a basketball extravaganza in the gym at the high school. It is $5 to play and $1 to watch. On Friday, Nov 17, NHS is hosting a pickleball tournament and students are asked to bring items such as toiletries to donate to Rachel’s Light. During lunch you can buy a sucker for $1 that you can send to yourself or somebody else. 

In addition to all of the fun activities, there will also be dress up days to participate in. Monday will be PJ day, Tuesday will be “rhyme without reason” some examples are ‘PJ and DJ’ or ‘wild west and princess’ etc. Wednesday will be groutfit, Thursday will be “Barbie and Ken” and Friday will be jersey day. 

This is an annual fundraiser held by student council to help OHS give back to the community.

Ava Flemke
Ava Flemke, Writer
Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.