50 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    61 °
    58 °
May 2
50°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
55°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

50 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    61 °
    58 °
May 2
50°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
55°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Fortnite: reversion to excellence

Fortnite releases new season “Fortnite OG”
Players enjoying the fresh call back to the older days of the game. Design and photos by Joe Zeman.

What is Fortnite?

Fortnite is a video game that within the past few years has exploded in popularity. It is a battle royale themed game, where 100 players load in the map and fight to be the last one standing. Fortnite originally began as a zombie fighting and base building game, but picked up traction with a larger fan base once the battle royale mode was added. The battle royale mode was released on Sep, 27 2017. A creative mode was also released, where players can create their own custom game modes and maps. Fortnite is one of the largest games distributed by technology company Epic Games, with other large titles including: Rocket League and Grand Theft Auto V. 

Fortnite has different eras to its game, defined by chapters and seasons. After a certain amount of months, the season will change. A season changing will bring in new cosmetic items like weapon skins, character skins and emotes. Another thing that a new season will bring is changes to the map that the players play on, changes in the loot pool of weapons, and items that players use in game. Different seasons have vastly different receptions from the player base, with a general consensus being that the earlier seasons were superior due to the map and items within the game. 

Back to basics

Fortnite introduced its newest season, Fortnite OG. This is a throwback to its original chapter one map, where a large number of players were introduced to the game. The entire month of Nov. Fortnite will continue to be updated weekly, progressing through the original 10 seasons. Critics attribute the popularity of Fortnite OG to the nostalgia and quality of the old seasons. Video game critic Andrew Webster said, “The new season also helped me realize just how far the game has come over the years.”

There is always something to do, there’s lots of different modes and ranks.

— Deacon Schaner

Critics are not the only ones loving the game, as senior Deacon Schaner started playing the game upon its release. He has roughly 7.3 thousand hours on record of time spent playing. Schaner loves the game, both casually and competitively. Schaner said, “I love playing with my duo partner Jayden Omangi and winning a lot of cash cups. There is always something to do, there’s lots of different modes and ranks. I like just having a good time with my friends.”

Data collected on the player count of Fortnite in the past 30 days. Source: Activeplayer.io (Designed by Joe Zeman)

Teenagers and kids around America use Fortnite as a tool to socialize with friends. Many people feel positively about the new Fortnite OG season and its impact on the game. Schaner said, “I think it’s really saving the game, you know? Five million players now are consecutively on the game, I think that’s a pretty awesome thing.”

Statistics

According to the numbers, this addition is widely beloved by the video game community. Fortnite reached its peak concurrent player count this month, with it reaching 6.2 million players. Epic games reported 102 million hours played on Sunday, November 5, 2023.

From the period of July 30 to Oct. 1, the game was on a steady decline in player numbers. This trend was interrupted with a large spike in players come Nov. 3, the release date of the update.

Fortnite has had a surprising staying power amongst youth, with the opportunity for the game to be intriguing again being at the tip of the developers’ fingertips. Kids across the nation have grown up with the game, and will forever hold nostalgia for the hours they spent playing. This resurgence marks an important moment in the game, captivating the old player base and retaining their current players. It is a marketing tactic that could prove very successful. Fortnite OG has gathered every possible player and has built up the interest and excitement for the game. The gaming community is at the edge of their seats for what Epic Games will do once the current season ends.

Joe Zeman
Joe Zeman, Writer
Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna Soccer League. In his free time, Zeman enjoys going for walks and hikes with his family, playing video games with his friends and listening to music. His favorite genres of music are R&B and rap, with favorite artists including Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West and Tyler, the Creator. Zeman is looking forward to improving his writing skills in Magnet, and being more involved in the student body.