45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
April 28
50°/ 45°
Heavy rain
April 29
49°/ 43°
April 30
69°/ 38°

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Jace Forcelle is a senior at Owatonna High School. Furthermore, this is his second year in Magnet. Independent of Magnet, Forcelle is a student school board representative for the Owatonna School Board...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
April 28
50°/ 45°
Heavy rain
April 29
49°/ 43°
April 30
69°/ 38°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Boys hockey transitions to new head coach

New+boys+hockey+head+coach+Dennis+Will+is+eager+for+the+season+to+begin+and+get+the+boys+playing+together.+
Aza Lewis
New boys hockey head coach Dennis Will is eager for the season to begin and get the boys playing together.

Hockey season is approaching at OHS. With the start of the season, the Owatonna Boys Hockey team is acquiring a new head coach, Mr. Dennis Will, following the death of former head coach David Fromm.

Coach Will is stepping into this position after the passing of former mentor and head coach Dave Fromm. This tragedy affected not only the players but the whole Owatonna community. Coach Will felt that by taking this position, he might be able to help with the tragedy. Coach Will said he hopes to, “Fill a role that needed to be filled.” By stepping into this role, Coach Will hopes to demonstrate leadership and mentorship for the kids and help them navigate this time. 

Coach Will is a science teacher at Owatonna High School who has a long history of coaching and playing. Coach Will played hockey for the University of Wisconsin-Madison in college, where he furthered his experience and knowledge of playing high-level hockey. Coach Will started coaching youth hockey in 1988 which led to pursuing coaching hockey at the high school level a year after that. He was hired as an assistant coach for Owatonna and filled that role for a couple of years. After being the assistant, Coach Will took over the program as head coach when the former head coach stepped away. Coach Will ended up stepping away from the head coach position in 1998 after leading the team to the state tournament. 

I think I can offer something to these boys because I have coached all the levels and have played at high levels.

— Dennis Will

With the season nearing, Coach Will hopes to get to know the boys and help them adjust to how he runs the team. Coach Will says, “I coach a very high-tempo game. You will see lots of passing and lots of skating.” Coach Will is big on fun, skilled games as well as teamwork and connections with his players. He hopes to build connections with the players in and out of the game.

Coach Will eagerly anticipates the season’s beginning and looks forward to stepping on the ice and being with the players. Coach Will said,”I think I can offer something to these boys because I have coached all the levels and have played at high levels.”

Coach Will hopes to see the players develop and improve on and off the ice. The OHS Boys Hockey Team will begin their season on Nov. 25 at the Owatonna Four Seasons Centre. 

Aza Lewis
Aza Lewis, Writer
Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively outside of school for a studio. Lewis enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and working out. Lewis hopes for the future to be on a college dance team and pursue her passion in sports medicine. Lewis is excited to see her progress in writing and see what it takes to be in Magnet and also all the behind-the-scenes work of Magnet.