57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
60°/ 51°
48°/ 46°
47°/ 43°

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
60°/ 51°
48°/ 46°
47°/ 43°

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

NHS holds second annual pickleball tournament

To finish off the Cash Drive week, the Owatonna National Honor Society is hosting its annual pickleball tournament for anyone who wants to come play or watch on Friday, Nov 17. It costs $5 to enter the tournament and $1 to watch. The pickleball tournament will be held at Owatonna High School in the auxiliary gym. 

The games will be regulation pickleball games up to 11 points or an eight minute maximum depending on how many teams join. Every team is entered into a March Madness style bracket. The winning team gets bragging rights. NHS member Danika Ringhofer said, “The pickleball tournament was a great success. It was fun being able to see everyone at different skill levels and still being competitive.” Last year some of the teams had a coordinated uniform with each other, which was a great way to show school spirit. During the tournament, referees from NHS will supervise the games to make sure the rules are followed. It will be open to as many teams want to join. 

Last year the tournament brought in around 52 teams in total and around $550. NHS adviser Mitch Dinse said, “The pickleball tournament was a huge success last year for the first time posting it.” The money this year will go to Rachel’s light which is an organization that gives back to the community by helping out homeless women and children in need. Mitch Dinse said, “It is a great organization to give the money to this year. It helps a lot of homeless women and children find permanent homes.” Last year Rachel’s Light housed around 200 people. All of the Cash Drive week’s events look to raise money for the organization to reach the  $7,000 goal.

The NHS pickleball tournament will be held on November 17, at 8 p.m. in the Owatonna High School auxiliary gym. 

Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.