45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

OHS Music hosts first concerts

Ella Williams
Mr. Peter Guenther directs Concert Band at first performance of the year

On Tuesday, Nov 14. OHS held its first All Band concert in the new Wenger Performing Arts center. The Huskies Band played first, followed by Varsity Band and Concert Band. All bands play under the direction of Mr. Peter Guenther. Guenther has worked as a band teacher for 31 years, with a total of 22 years here in Owatonna.

With the new building, many things have changed for the OHS music department, students have the opportunity to have more space for practicing and storing instruments. In the old building, the band room had no windows Mr. Guenther said,  “It felt like a dungeon, there might as well be zombies hanging around.” Studies have shown that students have better learning rates when accessing natural light. With windows in the new band room the OHS hopes to provide a better learning environment for its music department.

The Owatonna Orchestra has been preparing for their first concerts of the year. On Monday, Nov 20. there will be a Huskies and Varsity Orchestra concert. Both orchestras play under director Ms. Sandra Justice. The orchestra has been building skills along the way to transform how the music sounds from the first time they play up until they perform it on the stage. This year, the orchestra received the Meritorious School Orchestra Award. The award is voted on by the Minnesota String Teachers Association. Ms. Justice said, “It’s a huge honor. It recognizes a district versus an individual.” In addition to the first concert, there will be another concert including the carolers, concert choir and symphony orchestra. At the concert, James VanDemark will also be performing. VanDemark is an Owatonna graduate and bass instructor from Eastman School of Music. 

It’s a huge honor. It recognizes a district versus an individual.

— Ms. Sandra Justice

Owatonna’s Huskies and Varsity choirs will also be performing at the concert on Nov 20. The choir director is Ms. Paula Asmus. She is looking forward to watching students perform in the new space. Ms. Asmus said, “I think it will be fun to showcase to our community that we’re in a new building, but the tradition of the Owatonna music program is just as strong as it’s ever been.” The music department looks to grow with the new school and maintain its culture of excellence built in the old high school. 

Ella Williams
Ella Williams, Writer
Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife. She enjoys spending time with friends and family and being outdoors. Over the summer she went to Clearwater Cove with YoungLife and worked at the Blast, a local ice cream shop. Williams plans to go to medical school after high school, and wants to go into pediatrics. She is looking forward to learning more about the activities that go on at the school while also navigating the new OHS building.