66 °
    68 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    49 °
    51 °
    54 °
    56 °
    58 °
    60 °
    62 °
70°/ 39°
May 1
62°/ 45°
Sunny
May 2
53°/ 48°
Heavy rain

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

66 °
    68 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    49 °
    51 °
    54 °
    56 °
    58 °
    60 °
    62 °
70°/ 39°
May 1
62°/ 45°
Sunny
May 2
53°/ 48°
Heavy rain

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

OHS cheer gains new head coach

New+cheer+coach+Jenna+Compton+smiles+for+the+picture.+
Mariah Cuellar
New cheer coach Jenna Compton smiles for the picture.

This year there was an opening for a new cheer coach for the OHS cheer team. Coach Jenna Compton excitedly filled this position. Coach Compton has a very long history with cheer and has been coaching for a long time. She has a lot of experience and will look to add depth to the squad as their head coach.

Compton started cheering in 8th grade and has continued ever since. She has experience cheering for football, basketball and competition cheer. She continued to cheer after high school at Winona State University for football and basketball and later for the MN Thunder men’s professional soccer team. 

Growing up in Owatonna, Compton cheered at OHS. When she returned to teach here she said, “I was very excited to see a cheer coach opening as well.” Coach Compton started coaching in 2010 for the Owatonna Cheer Team as a junior varsity coach and has been with the program ever since. 

This year, the OHS cheer team has already had a very successful football season. They had much bigger squads this year which allowed for bigger pyramids and creative formations. Coach Compton said, “It was nice to have so many cheerleaders out on the sidelines of the new stadium.” They had over half the squad be able to fly in their stunts, which was a big accomplishment. 

Since Coach Compton has previously been the assistant coach the cheerleaders already know her pretty well. Senior Olivia Flores said, “Jenna has been coaching me ever since I can remember. She has done a good job at keeping up with traditions and create new ones.” They are all looking forward to growing closer and having a great season. 

Coach Compton is very excited to start the winter season and for the cheerleaders to cheer in the new gym. She has many goals for the season including bringing a lot of energy to the games. Coach Compton said, “We have many returning cheerleaders and will have strong squads this season.” Fans can watch the squad at basketball and hockey games this winter season.

About the Contributors
Alia Kubicek
Alia Kubicek, Writer
Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found at her cabin, hanging out with friends and family and online shopping. She joined Magnet to improve her journalism skills and learn more about student life and school activities. After high school she is planning on attending a four year college and pursuing a degree in business. Kubicek is looking forward to her first year in Magnet.
Mariah Cuellar
Mariah Cuellar, Social Media Editor
Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers for football and basketball throughout the year. This year at OHS Cuellar is involved in DECA, Link Crew, Thriving Minds and Prom Committee. Outside of school she coaches a youth competition cheer team and is a YoungLife president. Cuellar is very excited to learn new things and make new friends for her final year in Magnet.