50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 2
51°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
57°/ 45°

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 2
51°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
57°/ 45°

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Deggy’s Dog pound

November sport highlights, predictions, and shout outs
Photo of Jackson DeGrood at a Vikings training camp standing next two players cutouts.
Photo of Jackson DeGrood at a Vikings’ training camp standing next two player’s cutouts.

My name is Jackson DeGrood. At OHS Magnet, I’m a sports writer, sports editor, and a sports enthusiast. Here is my monthly recap of all of the big four sports and major events in the sporting world. Here we also talk about all Minnesota sports and the local Huskies. We also give you our Dawgs of the Month: people who may not get the spotlight, but played spectacular this month.

Thanksgiving just happened, which means football is getting closer to playoffs. It also means we are officially about a fifth through the NBA season. OHS winter sports also are starting up in the school. There is much to look forward to in sports so let’s get into it.

Football:

Minnesota State football just wrapped up. It was nothing short of a perfect ending to a great season. Chanhassen’s Maxwell Woods went untouched for two touchdowns and 215 yards. This was one of the most impressive games by a back since OHS’s  Jason Williamson’s game against St. Thomas Academy (STA). Chanhassen brings their first ever ring home with a game winning, play action, overtime pass to a receiver who was not very utilized in their offense. Their coach put on a masterclass for the state to watch. On the other side, STA had their fair share of luck and chances to win and or tie but ultimately blew the game. In overtime, they had the ball first; They had the first chance to score. Unfortunately, some bad throws and bad decisions with a mix of great Chanhassen defense led to STA only putting up three points. Chanhassen took their opportunity to score six and seal the game for good.

It was rivalry week in NCAA Division I football. A quick summary:no ranked teams won in a blowout and almost every game came down to a last second touchdown or possession. My favorite game was Alabama vs. Auburn. The go ahead touchdown with almost time left was electrifying. Although this week was fun to watch and close across all teams, next week is the deciding factor for who will make the final four. Florida State University (FSU), University of Michigan, University of Washington, and the University of Georgia are the teams to beat. If FSU loses to the University of Louisville, they are in jeopardy. If the University of Michigan loses to the University of Iowa, they are in jeopardy. If the University of Washington loses to Oregon University, they will most likely get replaced and likewise for the University of Georgia. Oregon University and University of Alabama are praying for wins this week as that could bump them into the playoffs.

In the NFL, it has been a wild ride. To sum it up, the division winner race is not particularly close in any division, but the wild card race is extremely tight. The Philadelphia Eagles are boasting an impressive 10-1 record and they are the team to beat. They earned this record by playing notable teams, including the Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, and the Minnesota Vikings. Speaking of the Vikings, their playoff hopes are in jeopardy. After a major loss to the Bears, the Vikings have a tough road to division champs. Assuming the Vikings figure their stuff out, we should still make the wild card with a somewhat easy rest of the year.

Hockey:

We can keep this short for NHL, the Minnesota Wild are really bad. We allow too many goals and games are just simply hard to watch. The Avalanche and Bruins have great records and they are the teams to beat.

BREAKING NEWS: Right before this story was published, the Wild hired a new coach. Due to their abysmal start, it was time for a change. Hopefully, this coach can change the way our defense and goalies have been playing and the Wild can win some games.

The University of Minnesota Gophers have had an interesting season. They are fun to watch and have a pretty good record. They are not quite as good as past years but I think that is due to losing so many players year to year and they lack consistency. I think come playoff time they will figure it out and make the Frozen Four. 

Basketball:

There is too much NBA to cover, but here is a short summary. The Timberwolves shocked the world. They are the best in the West and honestly the best in the league. They beat the Celtics and it does not make sense for them to be ranked below. In the rookie of the year race I think it is down to Chet or Wembenyama. I personally think Chet is better but Wemby is also really good. Wemby is way better on defense, but I think Chet’s efficiency on offense is unmatchable.

In the MVP race, Jokic is the man to beat but I believe that Jayson Tatum, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Embiid, and Luka Doncic all could make strong cases to win it as well.

Deggy’s Dawgs of the month:

Michigan Wolverines’ Blake Corum (Running back), Alabama Crimson Tide’s Isaiah Bond (Wide receiver), Marquette Golden Eagles’ Oso Ighodaro (Small/Power Forward), North Dakota Fighting Hawks’ B.J Omot (Small/Power Forward), and  OHS’s Mitch Seykora who was also selected to play in the Minnesota High School Football All-Star Game. 

Overall, the 23-24 sports year will be electrifying, but not if you are a Minnesota fan. The gloom of being a Minnesota fan has not gotten any better. Stay tuned for December’s edition of Deggy’s Dog Pound as we go in-depth on the big four sports and sporting news. 

Jackson DeGrood
Jackson DeGrood, Editor
Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas. When DeGrood is not playing Fortnite, he is hanging out with friends or being active. He also enjoys snowmobiling in the winter and trying new things that he has not done before. DeGrood is looking forward to being a part of the first graduating class of the new high school.