45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
50°/ 45°
Heavy rain
49°/ 43°
69°/ 38°
Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
50°/ 45°
Heavy rain
49°/ 43°
69°/ 38°

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Girls Hockey Putting in the Work

STICK+HANDLING+%0ASenior+captain+Samantha+Bogen+takes+the+puck+down+the+ice+against+East+Ridge.+
Jayden Omangi
STICK HANDLING Senior captain Samantha Bogen takes the puck down the ice against East Ridge.

The Owatonna Girls Hockey team is coached by head coach Tony Cloud and assisted by Mike Vetsch, Wilson Anderle and Chloe Schmidt. The girls have played eight games and their current record is 3-5. 

The varsity team looks different this year from last year as they have lost seven seniors, but gained many new girls. The varsity team is back to back Big 9 conference champions, which they hope to keep going with that title. With that, the girl needs to put in hard work to fill the roles that were lost. Head coach Tony Cloud said, “New girls are filling different roles then they have had to in the past. So getting used to those roles and understanding what it takes to fulfill those.” The team is working hard to fill the spots and improve day by day. 

The team has started the season with a hard schedule this year as they have taken on many non-conference teams. Coach Cloud said, “Half of our opponents we play are ranked in the top 20 in class A or double A.” The team has played five non-conference games and three conference games. 

The hockey team consists of approximately 26 girls. Ranging from eighth grade -to twelfth grade. Senior captain Samantha Bogen said, “We have been working hard on and off the ice to improve our skills every day.” The girls are putting in the work to hopefully see results on the ice that show their hard work paid off.  The girls all have goals for the season, Senior captain Izzy Radel said, “Since we are young just growing as a team and progressing to be better.” The team is looking forward to gaining experience and growing together.  

The girls next game is home on Thursday, Dec. 14 at the Four Seasons Center taking on the Red Wing Wingers at 7 p.m. 

About the Contributors
Anna Mollenhauer
Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer enjoys going on walks with her family, face time with her sister and going shopping. Mollenhauer also loves hanging out with family and friends and playing with her dog. After high school Mollenhauer is planning to attend a four year college to continue her education and major in law or business. Mollenhauer joined Magnet to learn how to improve her writing, take pictures as well as interview people and hopes to be more involved in school. 
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!