45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

New phone security measures at OHS

Designed by Norah Sletten
OHS will be implementing new phone security measures on Sunday, Dec. 17.

On Dec. 17, iPhone users at Owatonna High School will no longer be able to access their district accounts on the Apple Mail and iCalendar apps due to security concerns with Apple’s newly issued internet protocol. This protocol is being discontinued by OHS because there have been security issues with it previously. 

Mr. Mike Halverson is the Director of Technology and Innovation at OHS. Mr. Halverson recently sent out an email to the student body on Thursday, Nov. 30. The email informed students that they will only have access to district accounts on their iPhones if they are using Gmail and Google Calendar. 

Since this protocol has caused problems in the past, an informed decision was made to end the use of it. Mr. Halverson said, “The protocol we are removing has been vulnerable in the past and has the high potential to be vulnerable in the future. After extensive research and working with multiple outside security experts we have been recommended to just discontinue the use of it.” Ending the use of this internet protocol by Apple is in the best interest of the students. 

This new security request does not only affect iPhone users at OHS. Alongside district accounts only being available on Gmail and Google Calendar, district accounts will only be able to be accessed on phones – iPhones, Androids, Samsung etc. – that have a security lock. This could be a number code, face ID or fingerprint. 

We are doing everything we can to keep you guys safe, our staff safe, and the data that we have safe.

— Mr. Mike Halverson

Students and staff  have until Sunday, Dec. 17 to prepare their Gmail and Google Calendar apps while also making sure that their phone has a security code. Students at OHS understand why it is important that they prioritize the safety of their accounts. Senior Lydia Jessop said, “I understood that it was a security issue, but I initially thought that we were not gonna be able to access our district accounts at all on our phones. I am definitely glad that was not the case.”

Unknown individuals acquiring access to a student’s account brings up a variety of risks and safety concerns. Mr. Halverson said, “We are doing everything we can to keep you guys safe, our staff safe, and the data that we have safe.” Students could possibly have mail regarding college applications and confidential account information. This is why the school is prioritizing the safety of students, to prevent breaches of personal information. 

The main goal of these security measures being implemented is to keep everyone at OHS safe. Freshman Peyton Knudson said, “I have always trusted the school because I know that whatever policies they put in place are in the best interest of the students.” The students and staff are in safe hands and their security is being protected extensively. 

Students and staff have until Sunday, Dec. 17 to switch over to Gmail and Google Calendar if they wish to continue accessing their district accounts on their iPhones. Alongside this new safety measure, students and staff with iPhones or another brand of mobile device must lock their phone with a number code, fingerprint or face ID to keep their personal information regarding their district accounts safe. 

Norah Sletten
Norah Sletten, Editor
Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved in Owatonna Girls Cross Country, Rotary Club and Drama Club. Outside of school, she is a part of the Youth Oriented Leadership Organization (YOLO), a mental health and anti-tobacco advocacy group in Steele County. Sletten enjoys listening to music, hanging out with friends and working as a barista at Hyvee Starbucks. In her future, she hopes to attend Carleton College and major in Cinema and Media Studies.