45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain
Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Dance team kicks their way through the season

Varsity+kick+competes+their+dance+to+the+song+Once+Upon+a+Dream.+
Ella Highfield
Varsity kick competes their dance to the song Once Upon a Dream.

The Owatonna Dance team has been a program at the high school for seven years now. Since the start, the team has grown a lot, ranging from the amount of girls on the team to their skill sets. ODT has its biggest varsity kick team ever this year, consisting of 17 girls. They have about 40 girls in total on the team this year, which is pretty consistent with the number of girls on the team for the last three years.

They had their first competition on Nov. 18, in Burnsville. At this competition, varsity kick was the only team to compete and placed third. This was a big accomplishment for the team because this was the first time they had ever performed this early on in the season. On Dec. 2, the team had their first full team competition. All of Owatonna’s teams took first place finishes at this competition. Junior captain, Kennedy Katzug said, “All five of the teams took first place which was super cool and very exciting for the younger girls.”

The dance team smiling for the camera with their awards after their successful home competition. (Aza Lewis )

This past weekend on Dec. 9, the team made history by hosting their very first home competition, which took place in the main gym at OHS. The team had been preparing this past week by putting in all of their effort at every practice so that they could do their very best at the competition. They ended up placing first in four out of five of their routines and they got second place for the other routine. The competition was a huge success. Head coach Nicole Gefre said, “I think it was an amazing first event. We had so much support from our board, boosters, parents and volunteers. It was fun to have all the community support in the stands as well.”

After a very successful season last year with the varsity team placing first in jazz and third place overall at Big 9, the team has some big goals set for this season. This year their goal is to win Big 9 as a whole, meaning that they would get first in kick and jazz. Another goal for the team is to improve their score sheets and to add in harder and more difficult skills into their dances.

All five of the teams took first place which was super cool and very exciting for the younger girls.”

— Kennedy Katzung

In order to achieve these goals they want to improve on things. Junior captain Chloe Walerius said, “We are definitely trying to improve on our stamina and our cardio for kick and then for jazz, definitely like difficulty and turns.”

The Owatonna Dance team’s next performance is on Dec. 21, during halftime at the Owatonna Girls Basketball game.

About the Contributors
Lauren Kubicek
Lauren Kubicek, Writer
Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student Athletic Training. Kubicek joined Magnet to become more involved in the school and improve her writing and journalism skills. In Kubicek’s free time you can find her hanging out with her friends, at dance practice or at the lake. During the summer she works at The Blast. After high school, Kubicek plans on attending a four year university and pursuing a career in the medical field.
Aza Lewis
Aza Lewis, Writer
Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively outside of school for a studio. Lewis enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and working out. Lewis hopes for the future to be on a college dance team and pursue her passion in sports medicine. Lewis is excited to see her progress in writing and see what it takes to be in Magnet and also all the behind-the-scenes work of Magnet.   
Ella Highfield
Ella Highfield, Editor
Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving Minds. Highfield joined Magnet because she took journalism as a sophomore and really enjoyed being apart of Magnet last year. Her future plans include going to a college for cosmetology school, and afterward becoming a hairstylist.