51 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
49°/ 44°
April 30
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

51 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
49°/ 44°
April 30
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

OHS Girls Gymnastics flips into its season

With the start of the season, the Owatonna Gymnastics team is starting strong. The team started preparing for the sea

Halle Theis smiling before competing on bars. (Jayden Omangi )

son in June, where they had off-season practices. They practiced twice a week and perfected and worked on skills. Within the last two years, the team has made it to state, sending multiple individuals to represent OHS Gymnastics. Last year, as a team, the girl’s team took home third place and ended with a ranking score of 144.125; this year, the girls’ team is smaller but still a prominent team as they are a well-rounded mixture of ages between younger and older girls.

We have just been working up to getting our skills and building consistency for our routines.”

— Emma Johnson

The team practices Monday through Friday, where they spend three hours perfecting their events and conditioning. During those practices, they are packed with the outcome of success. Senior captain Emma Johnson said, “We have just been working up to getting our skills and building consistency for our routines.” As they set themselves up for success through hard work and determination, they constantly are improving their mentality when heading into meets and practices. Heading into the season on Nov 13, Junior Captain Averie Roush said, “So far, our season has been great; getting into our normal routine has been tough, but at this point in our season, we have all grown a lot as a team.”

The girls have big goals for success and the outcome they want to achieve this season. Roush said, “Goals for the season are to go far into our season, do our best and win at invites, Big 9, and sections, and also make it to state and win it.” They are approaching and working up to their first meet of the season against Austin on Dec 8.

The team’s first meeting was a success. The team won against Austin and ended with a score of 142, placing them in an excellent position for the start of the season.

Delia Neumann performing her routine on bars. (Jayden Omangi)

As the team progresses throughout the season and their first meet, Senior captain Kaelyn Smith said, “I see us as one of the top teams in the Big 9 and section.” They hope to do well when placing in their conference and section but also strive for excellence and do their best individually and as a team when nearing the bigger meets. Head Coach Evan Moe has been coaching gymnastics for 9 years and hopes for a thriving season approaching some of their bigger meets and competitions. Coach Moe said, “From the first few meets of the year, it looks like Mankato East and Winona will be our toughest competition, and we’ll get to see them both before the conference meet.” Moe hopes for the team to continue to grow and, as a result, come out on top of the Big 9. 

The OHS Gymnastics team has their next meet Thursday, Dec 14, vs. the Winona Winhawks at 6:30 p.m. in Winona.

About the Contributors
Aza Lewis
Aza Lewis, Writer
Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively outside of school for a studio. Lewis enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and working out. Lewis hopes for the future to be on a college dance team and pursue her passion in sports medicine. Lewis is excited to see her progress in writing and see what it takes to be in Magnet and also all the behind-the-scenes work of Magnet.   
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!