45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
50°/ 45°
Heavy rain
49°/ 43°
69°/ 38°

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
50°/ 45°
Heavy rain
49°/ 43°
69°/ 38°

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Best Buddies opportunity with the Minnesota Vikings

OHS+Best+Buddies+member+Miley+Aherns+with+Vikings+player+Harrison+Phillips+at+a+reception+for+Man+of+the+Year+award.+
Submitted by Missy Ahrens
OHS Best Buddies member Miley Aherns with Vikings player Harrison Phillips at a reception for “Man of the Year” award.

On Dec. 4, an opportunity came up for an OHS student in Best Buddies. Miley Aherns was able to meet her favorite Minnesota Vikings player Harrison Phillips.  Phillips was just recently submitted as the Vikings nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award through the NFL. 

The Walter Peyton Man Of The Year award is awarded to players who put in a lot of effort with volunteer and charity work, as well as their eminence on the field. The winner of the award each year receives a $250,000 donation to the charity of his choice, but as a nominee are guaranteed $55,000 to donate to your charity as well. These awards are made possible by the NFL Foundation. It is awarded to show appreciation towards NFL players who have put in effort to be a positive role model for their community. 

Aherns got the opportunity to surprise Phillips, which was very exciting for her since that is her favorite player. Aherns shares how excited she was for Phillips being chosen as a nominee for this award. Miley and her mom won an Award which helped her meet him before. Best Buddies were able to organize this for Ahrens to meet Phillips. Aherns was also excited to meet the Minnesota Vikings cheerleaders who she was able to see the day of the surprise. Miley’s Best Buddy is grader Hayley Schultz.

Best Buddies is an organization that started in 1989 by Anthony Shriver and is a non-profit organization that was created to establish a global volunteer movement. Creating friendship, development in social skills, job opportunities, and inclusivity for all.  Best Buddies mission is to create inclusive living for those living with IDD which stands for “intellectual, and developmental disabilities ‘. Best Buddies is inclusive to all with Down syndrome, autism, Williams Syndrome, cerebral palsy, and more. There are programs all over, in each of the 50 countries at the moment. Their mission is to change the world and change people for the better. 

Best Buddies started at Owatonna High School last year.  The President of the Owatonna chapter, Corrina Jensen said, ”Minnesota Best Buddies will find big opportunities for the students in Best Buddies to experience great things.”Jensen’s position in Best Buddies as president is to oversee connections and make sure everything is going smoothly. She also runs the Owatonna Best Buddies website, which is private to the members of Best Buddies.

This year Best Buddies did a “Dreaming Big Without Limits Fashion Show” in Stillwater. They did a Kendra Scott x Best Buddies MN giveback event in Bloomington, where participants can do some shopping and get some food. Joining Best Buddies is a great way to connect with people and create new friendships.  

Aurora Sim
Aurora Sim, Writer
Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson. She loves to advocate for autism awareness and kindness towards others. Sim plans to go to a four year college after high school, and study pre-med or mortuary science. Sim joined magnet this year to become more involved with school, and to bring in new and exciting stories.