47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Owatonna High School’s ExCEL award nominees announce

Mitch Seykora
OHS ExCEL award nominees Blake Davison and Theresa Wunderlich will move on to the next round of recognition.

The ExCEL award is a unique recognition program designed exclusively for Minnesota high school juniors who are active in school activities, leaders in their schools and who demonstrate a strong commitment to community service. To get the award you must be a junior in high school, make satisfactory progress toward graduation, participate in MSHSL fine arts and/or athletic activity, hold leadership positions in their school, volunteer in their community and meet MSHSL general eligibility requirements. Blake Davison and Theresa Wunderlich were this year’s OHS ExCEL nominees.

Davison and Wunderlich showed great characteristics to be nominated.  Activities Director Marc Achterkirch said, “Blake and Theresa were nominated for their hard work and dedication to their activities. They both hold leadership positions in their school and are great volunteers in their community.”

Davison is involved in school activities like SHOC, DECA and Thriving Minds. Davison also is involved in athletics such as football, hockey and baseball. Also, Davison is in many community services: Big Brothers Big Sisters,  involvement in youth sports and Sunday school. Davison said, “I feel very honored to be selected among so many good students. I kept working hard during tough times and with the help of friends and family I was able to accomplish this goal and many more.” Davison has worked really hard to get where he is at and is honored to be recognized.

Wunderlich is involved in school activities like National Honor Society, Student Council, SHOC, Link Crew and Robotics as well as being a co-chair of the homecoming parade. Wunderlich is also involved in cross country and seven musical arts including All-State Orchestra . Lastly, Wunderlich is also involved in many community services: Adopt-A-Trail, Penny Neighborhood Carnival, Saint Vincent dePaul Community Meals, Musician at St. Joseph’s Church, and Straight River clean-up. Wunderlich said, “I feel honored to have received the award! There are many qualified students at the school who would have deserved this, and I feel lucky to have been chosen.” Wunderlich continues to be involved in many school activities and continues to work hard.

State award recipients will be announced on the league website on Feb. 6, 2024. 

Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.