56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
April 27
60°/ 51°
April 28
48°/ 46°
Moderate rain
April 29
47°/ 43°

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
April 27
60°/ 51°
April 28
48°/ 46°
Moderate rain
April 29
47°/ 43°
Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Huskies make final push towards sections

Mariah Cuellar
Sophomore Carter Flatland looks to pin his opponent against his John Marshall opponent.

The Huskies’ Wrestling Team has gotten to the halfway point of their season and they have started strong. Compared to most recent years hovering close to .500 records the Huskies have been doing quite well. With a record of 18-7, they have competed with top teams in the state and do very well at holding their own. The Huskies found recent success in their last tournament with a back to back win in the second annual Davis Duals.

Overall, the team has done well, individually the Huskies have also exceeded expectations and have made the team proud. Coach Derek Johnson said, “On top of our returning State Qualifiers taking care of business, we’ve seen some giant leaps in performance from the sophomore class like Jayden Jirele (133lb), Riley Kreeger (152lb), Carter Flatland (160lb), and Max Flemke (189lb).” 

The Huskies wrestlers work harder every day in the wrestling room and it is showing on the mat. They believe that with better conditioning, technique and a better mindset they are setting themselves up for success.

The team this year is led by senior captain Grant Lower. Lower is the team’s heavyweight and is the main anchor of the team. Lower said, “Being a captain has been challenging but also has been fun. Keeping the boys in check can be a big task but one that I’m up for.” Lower brings a much-needed leader to the team and somebody you can always rely on to get the win.

Wrestling is a difficult sport and a huge grind. It takes a lot of mental focus and having people dedicate large parts of their lives to get better. Junior Donny Sorenson said, “Friendships during the season mean a lot to me. They are some of the best friends I could ask for. My teammates always have my back no matter what.” Wrestling has one of the longest seasons out of all OHS sports. The relationships in the sport make it faster and make it more enjoyable. 

The end goal for the team is always a section championship and a state tournament berth. Coach Derek Johnson said, “One of the most underrated aspects of a great team is how you lose. No team wins every match in a dual, and so how you avoid pins, keep matches close and fight relentlessly saves team points and seals the team wins.” The goal in wrestling is to win whether it is as an individual or a team, that is always the goal. Wrestlers don’t need to dominate every opponent they face, but the little things they do right are the determining factor of winning or losing their match. The Huskies live by these morals and that is what makes them better than most.

The Huskies hit the road for their next meet on Thursday, Jan. 25 at 6 p.m. for a triangular meet with conference rivals Rochester Mayo and Mankato West.

About the Contributors
Blake Fitcher
Blake Fitcher, Writer
Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills. Fitcher believes Magnet would give him an opportunity to become better at being a journalist. He wants to graduate high school and go to a 2-4 year college to continue his academic and athletic career. He enjoys hanging out with friends in his free time and also listening to music while going out driving with friends. 
Mariah Cuellar
Mariah Cuellar, Social Media Editor
Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers for football and basketball throughout the year. This year at OHS Cuellar is involved in DECA, Link Crew, Thriving Minds and Prom Committee. Outside of school she coaches a youth competition cheer team and is a YoungLife president. Cuellar is very excited to learn new things and make new friends for her final year in Magnet.