37 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    36 °
    38 °
    41 °
    43 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    44 °
    41 °
    39 °
    38 °
    36 °
    35 °
February 24
44°/ 20°
Sunny
February 25
48°/ 32°
Sunny
February 26
62°/ 33°
Sunny

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Disney re-releases movies after COVID pandemic

Screenshots from Disney + of movies re-releasing after COVID restrictions were lifted.
Source: Disney +
Press Release Image
Screenshots from Disney + of movies re-releasing after COVID restrictions were lifted. Source: Disney +

COVID-19 has had many negative effects on numerous people and businesses throughout the past years. One of these businesses is Disney, Disney released three movies during COVID-19 called, “Luca”, “Soul” and “Turning Red.” As a result of these movies coming out during the pandemic, the movies never got a chance to be seen in the theaters and were only released on Disney+. To bring them back, Disney has now re-released these three movies in theaters. 

Disney is doing something very unusual with the release of movies that came out in prior years. The result stated by Disney is that the pandemic closed theaters and did not give viewers a chance to watch the movies. In the article, The Truth About Why Pixar’s ‘Luca’ Is Headed To Streaming Amid Amidi explains why one of the three movies, “Luca”, is being released in theaters. He said, “Soul’s streaming release was out of necessity due to theater closures during the height of the pandemic, but the other two films were designated for streaming debuts as part of a questionable strategy by former Disney CEO Bob Chapek to prioritize ‘feeding that [Disney+] machine’ over theatrical releases.” The three movies release dates are as follows, “Soul” on January 12th, “Turing Red” on February 9th and “Luca” on March 22nd

Many are excited to watch these three iconic movies in theaters. Senior Ashton Kraus said, “When I watched it on Disney+ [“Soul”] I enjoyed it and it was cool to see people helping each other and I really like the music aspect of the movie.” Many people are excited about the new releases of these movies and the ability to go and enjoy them in a theater. Senior Emma Johnson who has seen the movie”Luca” said, “I like “Luca” because it’s a very good story about life lessons and family”.” Luca” is all about learning from mistakes and using that in life.

With “Turning Red” coming to theaters many are excited to watch it. Junior Nolan Ginskey said, “It is funny and the family aspect of the movie is relatable. I also enjoy the environment of theaters.” Movies being in theaters gives a much more enjoyable experience for the viewers of the movies. “Soul” is now released and available at movie theaters across the country.

Owen Smith, Writer
Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved in baseball, basketball, NHS, DECA, and BBBS. When he is not playing baseball and basketball Smith enjoys hanging out with his friends and spending time with his family. He is a really big sports fan and enjoys watching all the Minnesota sports teams. Smith is looking forward to his first year in Magnet and learning more about the student body and becoming a better writer.