48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    39 °
    41 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    39 °
    41 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

What defines school spirit

With a new school comes a new sense of pride for the students
Jayden Omangi
The Owatonna student section cheers on the Huskies during the first football game of the season.

School spirit is defined in Wikipedia.com as,  “The sense of identity and community shared by members of an educational institution.”  As a general definition, this fits the idea of school spirit, but from school to school this definition can be changed and defined by the culture of each school. At Owatonna High School, school spirit is not simply just a thing that is in the school- it is, for most students, a substantial part of their life.

When it comes to sports in Owatonna the parents and community as a whole have traditionally filled the stands as well as the students filled the stands.

People forgot how to use school spirit or even how to show it in any way after COVID restrictions were lifted. The recovering years from COVID were really hard on the students and people due to them not wanting to come to games, because of the fear Covid had brought. Activities Director Marc Achtekirch said, “When they started easing the restrictions of  COVID and we were allowed to bring more students into our sections, ours was full. This year, a new school gave a new sense of pride for our school.”

On Friday, September 1, 2023, the Huskies’ home field opener took place marking the first official football game ever played in the new high school. The stadium holds approximately 3,500 people. People had their doubts about the big stadium, with the idea being there was no chance they could fill it so it would make it seem like there was nobody at the game. However, the home opener brought over 5,000 people to the game. The stadium was packed, seat to seat. The best thing about this was this was just foreshadowing what school spirit at extracurriculars would look like for the rest of the year. The support has carried through the winter sports as well.  

People attending events is not the only thing that matters when showing school spirit. Things like Homecoming, Prom, Snow week, and other big events are also big factors. This year at the Huskies’ Homecoming parade, the entire parade route was packed. The students filled the new massive gym for the homecoming dance. Roughly 800 students attended the homecoming dance which is the highest attendance OHS has had in years.

The 2023-24 school year has brought much excitement and school spirit to the students of OHS.

Originally published in the January Print Edition

About the Contributors
Jackson DeGrood
Jackson DeGrood, Editor
Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas. When DeGrood is not playing Fortnite, he is hanging out with friends or being active. He also enjoys snowmobiling in the winter and trying new things that he has not done before. DeGrood is looking forward to being a part of the first graduating class of the new high school.
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!