62 °
    65 °
    66 °
    69 °
    72 °
    74 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    74 °
    74 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    78 °
    79 °
    81 °
    81 °
June 17
75°/ 61°
Moderate rain
June 18
82°/ 66°
Moderate rain
June 19
67°/ 54°
Moderate rain

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

62 °
    65 °
    66 °
    69 °
    72 °
    74 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    74 °
    74 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    78 °
    79 °
    81 °
    81 °
June 17
75°/ 61°
Moderate rain
June 18
82°/ 66°
Moderate rain
June 19
67°/ 54°
Moderate rain

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Chloe Gfrerer is a sophomore at OHS. It is her first year in Magnet. She decided to join to improve her journalism skills because she has an interest in journalism. She also got told that it is a great...

OHS Boys Basketball: shooting to end with a great season

Senior+Captain+Leyton+Williams+drives+into+the+lane+against+Mankato+East.+
Senior Captain Leyton Williams drives into the lane against Mankato East.

The Owatonna Boys Basketball team has just hit the midway point of their season and it is off to a good start. The team currently has a record of 10-5. They sit fifth in the Big Nine Conference with a record of 6-4. 

The team has had its ups and downs throughout the season so far. The Huskies came out strong, gaining win after win to start the season, but were hit with some tough competition and lost three straight games including a close 68-64 loss to Rochester John Marshall. They were able to bounce back though as they went on a four-game winning streak including a big win over Eau Claire Memorial with a final score of 73-71. Head Coach Josh Williams said, “The team has continued to grow over the season, but with that said we still need to keep building and hopefully challenge for a playoff home game.” Huskies always look to improve. 

The Huskies are led by senior captains Leyton Williams, Rielly Kleeberger, Jacob Ginskey and junior Nolan Ginskey. All have been working hard to help lead the teams and achieve the goals that they have set for themselves. 

We’ve been in a lot of close games and have won some and lost some, but the team always plays hard no matter what.

— Nolan Ginskey

The Huskies are looking forward to the final half of their season. The team has very big goals in mind, one of those being a trip to State. With the team battling numerous injuries, no win has come easy as every game has been a battle to the end. Nolan Ginskey said, “We’ve been in a lot of close games and have won some and lost some, but the team always plays hard no matter what.” Even with some tough losses, the team still looks to battle.

Ginskey has done a great job leading the team as a junior. He said, “We still have a long way to go to reach our full potential, but I’m proud of what we’re doing right now and the direction we are going.” The Huskies are ready to push through the last half of the regular season. 

The Huskies’ next game is Friday, Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m. against Mankato West at Mankato West High School.

About the Contributors
Jack Mottl
Jack Mottl, Writer
Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends, playing video games, and spending time with his family. Mottl enjoys the outdoors a lot. He likes fishing, hiking and climbing. Mottl hopes to gain new skills in his writing and photography. Mottl joined Magnet because he thought it would be a fun experience and help improve his journalism skills. Mottl is excited for a good year of Magnet.
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!