58 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
April 27
58°/ 51°
April 28
49°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends,...

58 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
April 27
58°/ 51°
April 28
49°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 44°
Moderate rain
Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Pathway to firefighting at OHS

Photo submitted by Ryan Seykora
Owatonna firefighters and firefighting students encounter a live burn during a skills day.

This year, OHS introduced a new career pathways class, firefighting, as an opportunity for students to gain career readiness. In this class, students have the opportunity to discover more about careers in firefighting. This career focus is giving OHS students the ability to define their own pathways outside of traditional schooling.

Firefighting may not be the first career path students think of, but firefighting teacher Mr. Ryan Seykora is trying to change that. Mr. Seykora said, “We’re trying to open this opportunity that I never knew was available.” A career in firefighting does not require a four-year degree. Students can graduate with a two-year fire science degree. Mr. Seykora said, “I went into a four-year degree because I didn’t know that there were other options. I thought that’s what you had to do to be successful after high school.” The firefighting class is creating awareness of new ways that students can define their path without a four-year degree.

The firefighting class is a college-level, hybrid class at OHS. The coursework gives a beginner overview of firefighting techniques while incorporating hands-on learning. Students participate in “skills days” on one Saturday each month of the course. Recently, students participated in a live burn to gain firsthand experience with fire. Senior Aaron Ginnetti said, “The best parts of the class are the hands-on learning days. We do exams to make sure we know what we’re doing, but then we go down to the fire hall, and we’re taught how to do things in person.”

We’re trying to open this opportunity that I never knew was available.

— Mr. Seykora

Through hands-on learning, students can obtain knowledge that aids in making career decisions. Mr. Seykora said, “It’s still a successful program if we find students who decide firefighting maybe isn’t for them because that can help guide them to a different path.” OHS is focusing on providing students with the opportunity to define their own pathway through career-based learning.

Originally published in the January Print Edition.

Amanda Clubb
Amanda Clubb, Writer
Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb loves to read, play the flute and spend time with her family and friends. She joined Magnet because she loves to write and be involved at school. Clubb is excited to be a part of the OHS Magnet staff this year and is looking forward to her junior year.