61 °
    62 °
    65 °
    66 °
    69 °
    72 °
    74 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    74 °
    74 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    78 °
    79 °
    81 °
June 17
75°/ 61°
Moderate rain
June 18
82°/ 66°
Moderate rain
June 19
67°/ 54°
Moderate rain
Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

61 °
    62 °
    65 °
    66 °
    69 °
    72 °
    74 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    74 °
    74 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    78 °
    79 °
    81 °
June 17
75°/ 61°
Moderate rain
June 18
82°/ 66°
Moderate rain
June 19
67°/ 54°
Moderate rain
Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Coach Williams inducted into MCFA Hall of Fame

Head+football+coach+Jeff+Williams+talks+to+junior+Jack+Meneguzzo+as+the+Huskies+prepare+for+their+first+state+tournament+game.+
Jayden Omangi
Head football coach Jeff Williams talks to junior Jack Meneguzzo as the Huskies prepare for their first state tournament game.

The Huskies get ready in the tunnel as a pump-up video plays on the screen. The band erupts into the school’s fight song as the Huskies break through the smoke and run out onto the field. The stands are jam-packed with energetic Owatonna fans dressed in all white to support their team. This was the scene on the night of Sept. 1, the Huskies first game on their new field and would end up being head coach Jeff William’s 200th win after the Huskies beat the Hastings Raiders 42-7.

Williams will be inducted into the Minnesota Coaches Football Association Hall of Fame. This will be the 60th annual Football Hall of Fame Banquet. Williams earned his 200th win as a head coach in the Huskies’ first game of the season. But that was nothing compared to some of his biggest wins.

Williams coached the OHS teams to the prep bowl six times, winning three of them, all in a span of six years. He is the winningest coach in Owatonna Football history, and his name will be etched in the history books forever.

Williams said, “It’s a pivotal age for these guys, they don’t have all the answers so they’re still open to learning the game and being coachable. It’s a really rewarding time.”

“My favorite part about coaching high school football is that you get to start all over again with a different group of players each year,” He said. Williams has seen hundreds of kids go through his program. “Each year our players have different skill sets and different personalities. It’s a whole lot different than lecturing mitosis each year,” Williams joked.

Williams has also brought home 10 5A Section 1 titles. He earned his tenth this season as the Huskies defeated their section rival, the Northfield Raiders. This was the 207th win of his career and it capped off an incredible inaugural season at the new high school.

Football senior captain Owen Beyer said, “My favorite memories with coach are the times he’d come into the locker room after a big win and the team would sing the fight song together.”

Coach Williams has had many great successes with the Huskies, but some will stick with him forever. Coach Williams said, “When the clock was winding down in our 2013 Championship game and it’s like you know what, I think we’re actually going to win a state championship here. We had been fighting hard for so many years to prove it and we finally proved it right there.”

Current running backs coach and former player Matt Skala said, “He has tremendous leadership skills and creates high expectations for everyone involved.” Everyone around him has an incredible amount of respect for their head coach. Mr. Skala said, “I have seen the amount of time and dedication he puts year- round into building the Owatonna Football dynasty. Owatonna Football is unique and special. Coach Williams created that!”

He is incredibly well respected around the community and even more so by the players he mentors. Beyer said, “His knowledge of the game and his experience makes him such a great coach.”

The ceremony will be held on Saturday, April 6 at 5 p.m. at the Doubletree Hotel in Minneapolis.

About the Contributors
Ethan Armstrong
Ethan Armstrong, Writer
Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends, being active outside, going on walks with his dog, and playing sports. He lives with his mom, dad, and sister. Being loyal, trustworthy and respectful are three important characteristics about him. He plans to go to a four year college but is not sure of a major yet. This is his second year being on magnet staff. He joined Magnet last year because he wanted to amplify his journalism and photography skills.
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!