45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

OHS student-athletes sign for the next level

Mitch Seykora
OHS holds the annual National Signing Day on Feb. 7 at 3 p.m. in the OHS Foundation Room.

OHS is proud to announce that nine of its student-athletes are going to continue their academics and sports at the next level throughout the Midwest. 

National Signing Day is a huge part of many student-athletes’ lives, giving them a chance to sign their National Letter of Intent (NLI). The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an institution in which the institution agrees to provide a prospective student-athlete who is admitted to the institution. 

OHS student-athletes are given the chance to go up in front of the local media with their parents to sign their NLI.  Although every athlete gets to sign an NLI, only Division I and Division II athletes sign an official contract binding them to the university. For Division III and NJCAA, it is not an official nor binding contract, however, it is still a great opportunity to get recognized for this great accomplishment. 

Signing an NLI means a lot to OHS student-athletes. Carsyn Brady plans on running track and field at North Dakota State University next year. Brady was a state participant in both cross country and track for OHS. Brady said, “It is a great honor to be a part of National Signing Day because not a lot of athletes get to be a part of it. It is a testament to all of the dedication and hours of hard work that I have invested in it.” It allows them to show to the community their hard work and dedication to their sport and their academics. 

To just have a small part in their lives to help them develop not only as an athlete but as an individual. It’s just a really exciting time to see the dedication that these kids have come full circle”

— Strength Coach Jerry Eggermont

This also means a lot to the coaches who have coached these athletes throughout high school. Strength coach Jerry Eggermont said, “To just have a small part in their lives to help them develop not only as an athlete but as an individual. It’s just a really exciting time to see the dedication that these kids have come full circle.” For coaches, it is a sense of accomplishment. To know that the athletes that they have coached and helped through all four years of high school are going to play at the next level shows that they have had an impact on their lives to help them get to that point. 

The female students that will be signing on National Signing Day are Carsyn Brady for track and field at North Dakota State University, NCAA Division I, Madison McGinn for Lacrosse at D’Youville University, NCAA Division II, Kennedy Hodgeman for softball at the University of Wisconsin, Stout, NCAA Division III, Elizabeth Radel for softball at the College of Saint Benedict, NCAA Division III, and Morgan Fisher for basketball at Mount Marty University, NAIA. 

The male students that will be signing on National Signing Day are Grant Lower for football at Bemidji State University, NCAA Division II, Torrin Smith for football at Gustavus Adolphus College, NCAA Division III, Rielly Kleeburger for basketball at the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire, NCAA Division III, and Mitch Seykora for baseball at Iowa Central Community College, NJCAA. 

National Signing Day will take place in the OHS Foundation Room, Wednesday, Feb. 7th at 3:00 p.m.

Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.