47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
April 29
48°/ 43°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
April 29
48°/ 43°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Huskies wrestle at the upcoming section tournament

Mariah Cuellar
Colton Glende was announced the winner of his match vs. John Marshall.

The Owatonna Wrestling Team’s regular season has come to a close as varsity takes a week break before heading into team sections. The Huskies ended their regular season with a loss to Mounds View. Mounds View is the number one ranked team in class AAA. The Huskies finished with a 22-11 record with 10 out of 11 losses being to ranked teams. They finished with a 8-2 record in the conference and have landed themselves the three seed in the section tournament.

With their eyes on a state tournament berth, the Huskies are looking to beat section rivals Albert Lea and Northfield to get themselves into the state tournament bracket.

The team is very young compared to other teams in their section, yet the Huskies were able to land themselves a top-three seed in their section. Head Coach Derek Johnson said, “We are prepared mentally and physically for sections. We have been working hard day in and day out for this week and I believe we can get past our section.” 

The Huskies have had a long 13 weeks of practice and tournaments to prepare for team sections and they plan on using all they have learned this upcoming Thursday.

Huskies wrestlers have had a long and draining season. As they come into sections, their expectations are very high as they want to come out on top after all this time and hard work. Standout junior Donny Sorenson said, “ If the team wrestles well, we all stay solid, and save team points, we could easily take this team to the X”. 

At this point in the season, all the wrestlers want to be at their best to keep their season going. They all have the same end goal in mind and are striving to make their goals happen.

The Huskies have not made it to the team state tournament since 2020 when they had a heavyweight thriller to win their section. This is the best team they have assembled in recent years and they want to take advantage of that. 

Coach Johnson said, “Our team is all young and have had a few years of chemistry together. To be this young and to compete like we do is to make a statement every time we step into a gym. We know we have the talent to make it to the X, And so does everyone else.”

The Huskies will travel to Northfield for team sections on Feb.15 at 6:00 pm. Individual sections will be on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 10:00 am. at Mayo Civic Center.

About the Contributors
Blake Fitcher
Blake Fitcher, Writer
Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills. Fitcher believes Magnet would give him an opportunity to become better at being a journalist. He wants to graduate high school and go to a 2-4 year college to continue his academic and athletic career. He enjoys hanging out with friends in his free time and also listening to music while going out driving with friends. 
Mariah Cuellar
Mariah Cuellar, Social Media Editor
Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers for football and basketball throughout the year. This year at OHS Cuellar is involved in DECA, Link Crew, Thriving Minds and Prom Committee. Outside of school she coaches a youth competition cheer team and is a YoungLife president. Cuellar is very excited to learn new things and make new friends for her final year in Magnet.