47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
April 29
48°/ 43°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
April 29
48°/ 43°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Jace Forcelle is a senior at Owatonna High School. Furthermore, this is his second year in Magnet. Independent of Magnet, Forcelle is a student school board representative for the Owatonna School Board...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Black History Month at Owatonna High School

Submitted by Mr. Wiken
Celebrating Black History Month at Owatonna High School.

Black History Month was started by Carter G. Woodson in 1926. Carter G. Woodson was the founder of the Association for the Study of African American History. Woodson was the son of a recently freed slave, who went on to earn a Ph.D. from Harvard. He wanted this month to be dedicated to educating people on black history and culture, also recognizing the countless black men and women who have contributed to the advancement of human civilization. February was chosen as Black History Month because it was the month Fredrick Douglas and Abraham Lincoln were born. OHS is doing quite a bit this year to celebrate Black History Month and honor those who fought for equality and civil rights along with our peer’s rights.

At Owatonna High School, there are many ways to celebrate Black History Month. This month there are some important events the school is doing to celebrate. OHS is putting together informational slides on African American scientific, literary, civil rights leaders, and historical figures. These slides will be up on the TV’s around the school.

The slides will be filtered out weekly so none are repeated. A film was shown on Compass Day to show the importance of Black History Month. Along with the film, there will be a field trip to an art museum to celebrate Black History Month and Asian Pacific Islanders in the upcoming months. Also, announcements over the intercom recognizing Black History Month and events happening in the community and around Owatonna will be made.

During this month it’s important to recognize the historical figures on the TVs, notice ones some may be unfamiliar with, and ask about them.

Owatonna Assistant Principal, Philip Wiken said,  “Notice the figures you don’t recognize there’s so much depth in those individuals and their stories.” Teachers in the school are trying to bring more African American authors and stories into classrooms to further educate students. Like, introducing more African American authors, scientists, inventors, and influences to the curriculum. Students can ask about those authors, scientists, and historical figures. Learn more about their stories. Another way to contribute is to read more books written by African American authors and listen to their stories.

Aurora Sim
Aurora Sim, Writer
Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson. She loves to advocate for autism awareness and kindness towards others. Sim plans to go to a four year college after high school, and study pre-med or mortuary science. Sim joined magnet this year to become more involved with school, and to bring in new and exciting stories.