54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
60°/ 51°
48°/ 46°
47°/ 43°

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
60°/ 51°
48°/ 46°
47°/ 43°

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Opinion: Should houses and apartments be the same price?

Apartment complex currently being built in downtown Owatonna.
Asha Abdi

The housing prices have been substantially increasing across the nation, especially in Minnesota. In particular, apartment complexes are being built all over Owatonna, Minnesota. Furthermore, the prices for apartments and houses shouldn’t be the same. The reason for this is because there are different regulations based on the living spaces. 

Currently, apartment complexes are being built throughout the town. 

For example, the Park Plaza apartments on Allan Ave in Owatonna have a monthly rent of $1,125 – $1,595 for one to three bedrooms. The cost of a one to three-bedroom apartment is equivalent to a four-bedroom house’s rent, which is $1,500. Rent for apartments is generally cheaper than most mortgages for houses. When putting a down payment on a house, people have to pay around twenty percent of the original price listed. They are similar in that way. 

With the prices of those two living spaces being the same there are a lot of differences between the house and apartment. 

For example, apartments have less yard space and houses have more indoor space for living with more levels. Also, apartments have a lot less privacy rather than people who live in houses. 

The privacy of houses is centered around the notion that individuals are separated from their neighbors by yard space. Moreover, apartments are only separated by thin walls so the sound is easier to travel through them, which then allows others to see what goes on inside the apartment. Some examples could be conversations or even a dog barking. Because a dog’s bark can be very loud it can disturb residents within the same general living area. 

With living in apartments there are more structural rules for people living in those spaces. But there are benefits to living in apartments. Such as they are more secure and safer living spaces. 

The contention of rules for apartment residents is apparent through the restriction of pets. Paraphrased from the Law Help MN, the standard practice for landlords across Minnesota is to restrict apartment residents from allowing pets to live in the complex. The reason for landlords restricting pets in apartments is centered around the potential for pets to damage the property, immerse the apartment space with obscene odor, and propose a liability risk. It is not very fair to be paying the same prices to live somewhere if you can’t bring your pets with you. 

I feel like I should be able to bring my dog wherever I live. Because I could pay for the damages if something were to happen.

— Grace Thiele

However, if individuals own a house, they can have pets as opposed to the oversight and restriction of a landlord. Many students at OHS own pets.  Sophomore Grace Thiele said, “I feel like I should be able to bring my dog wherever I live. Because I could pay for the damages if something were to happen.” Which is a smart thing and responsible thing to do that most adults would take accountability and do as well. 

According to the Owatonna Update, the City Council of Owatonna proposed and approved a project that plans to build 328 housing units; the project started on May 17, 2023. So far five apartment complexes have been built. As reported by the Owatonna People’s Press at the old clinic by the store Fareway, they are going to turn them into apartments in that area for residents in Owatonna. 

This project should benefit housing for the next ten years for residents in Owatonna. The market for buying a house right now is at its worst point, which is making it harder for people to find houses for their family type. This is also why finding an affordable house is a big challenge for those finding a place to live. 

Asha Abdi
Asha Abdi, Writer
Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi likes to play her instrument in a trio at weddings, hangout with friends, spend time with family, and has recently gotten a job. She joined OHS Magnet because she wants to make a career out of writing and to improve her writing skills.