46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
April 29
49°/ 42°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends,...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
April 29
49°/ 42°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

Chloe Gfrerer is a sophomore at OHS. It is her first year in Magnet. She decided to join to improve her journalism skills because she has an interest in journalism. She also got told that it is a great...

OHS Girls Gymnastics hopes to be back-to-back champs in sections

Jayden Omangi
Junior captain Averie Roush does beam routine at Owatonna Girls Gymnastics home meet.

With a Big 9 conference win last week and being undefeated in conference meets. Owatonna Girls Gymnastics looks forward to a section meet where they will battle other teams such as Lakeville South, Farmington, Lakeville North, Northfield, Mayo, Century, and John Marshall. 

Lakeville South, who has been ranked the number one team in the state all year in front of Owatonna who is ranked number two, will be a tough challenge for the team. Head coach Evan Moe said, “I’m confident that our team will go out at a high level. Lakeville South won’t make it easy. But if we throw a meet that’s completely put together, I’m confident we’ll come out as champions.” 

The Huskies who are defending section champions will look to retain their title and even send some individuals to state. Coach Moe said, “Individually I’d love to send five  athletes to state but we’re all focused on the collective effort of the team.”

To prepare this week for sections coach Moe and his team have lightened up practices and went more from conditioning to active recovery and are cleaning up details such as flips and jumps. Coach Moe said, “I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to score the highest possible on each event and the thrill of winning big meets.” He hopes he and his team can add yet another big win to their resume and compete for the state title in the upcoming weeks.

With hopes of going back to back, the girls have many returning gymnasts to the team. One returning member is junior Jozie Johnson who in last year’s section meet led the team on vault and helped advance them onto state. Johnson said, “My goal for going into sections as a team is to have confidence going into the meet and do the best we can.” It will take everyone to make a run and win the whole thing. 

Senior captain Emma Johnson is also a returning member from last year’s team who made it individually for her floor routine and hopes the team can make it back to state. Johnson said, “Competing for a section title any year is nerve-racking, this year being a senior has added to those nerves more than usual considering it could be my last meet with this team. However, we have a great team this year and have full faith in our team and we will defend our section.” 

The girls’ team has a lot of hope and determination to finish this year off on a good note and go back to state. As they are ranked the number two team in the state, the expectations are high as they look to make a run.

Girls Gymnastics Sections is Saturday, Feb. 17th at Rochester John Marshall at 11 a.m. Top 3 for each event will qualify for state and the top team overall will qualify for team state.

About the Contributors
Owen Smith
Owen Smith, Writer
Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved in baseball, basketball, NHS, DECA, and BBBS. When he is not playing baseball and basketball Smith enjoys hanging out with his friends and spending time with his family. He is a really big sports fan and enjoys watching all the Minnesota sports teams. Smith is looking forward to his first year in Magnet and learning more about the student body and becoming a better writer. 
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!