45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

OHS holds second-semester conferences

Chloe Gfrerer
OHS holds the second semester-parent teacher conference.

OHS is holding its first conferences for the second semester of the 2023-2024 school year. Conferences are short meetings between parents, students, and teachers where the teacher explains how the student is doing in their class and if they need anything to improve the student’s experiences at school. The same night is the second night of FAFSA. 

FAFSA night is a session where parents and students complete the FAFSA online. During the FAFSA parents and students are the ones who complete FAFSA. To do this the things that are required for people to bring are their W-2s and social security number for both the parents and students. 

Counselor Tammy Langlois said, “The process is all online, and then if they have questions the financial aid reps are there to help.” At FAFSA night they have college representatives who are financial experts to help with any trouble that is happening during the process. This all occurs during conferences.

“Conferences are very important because they help improve the students’ school experience. They also help parents learn how their child is doing, which is very important to see if the parents need to help their kid.”

— Ella Henriksen

Teachers have relationships with students and to get one with parents they hold conferences. Principal Kory Kath said, “For us, the importance of conferences is to maintain the relationship or establish a relationship with families. We know that students come in every single day and they’re doing their work with their teachers and they have an established relationship but it’s also important for us to be available to parents.“ Conferences are to update the parents on how their kids are doing. 

Band teacher Peter Guenther said, “I think the best benefit is to connect with parents for progress with their kids. For my class, since it’s a full-year class, it’s like a spot where parents can update a little after midyear to see how their kids are doing.” The teachers tell their opinions of the students to the parents and let them know how they are doing in their class.

The conferences are for parents and students to see the teacher’s opinions on how they are doing in their classes. Junior Chloe Garten said, “I think conferences are very beneficial because they help the students and teacher have one on one time to explain how they are doing. They also help parents learn how to help their child if they are struggling.” 

Teachers meet with the parents because it is something you do not normally do so they can communicate with the parents and explain what is going on in the classroom. Sophomore Ella Henriksen said “Conferences are very important because they help improve the students’ school experience. They also help parents learn how their child is doing, which is very important to see if the parents need to help their kid.” Conferences are there to help the students have a better experience. 

Conferences will be held on Thursday, Feb. 22 from 3 to 7 p.m. Teachers hold conferences to create relationships with their students’ families. They also have them to inform the parents on how their student is doing in school and if they need help with anything. They are held to improve the student’s academic performance.

Chloe Gfrerer
Chloe Gfrerer, Writer
Chloe Gfrerer is a sophomore at OHS. It is her first year in Magnet. She decided to join to improve her journalism skills because she has an interest in journalism. She also got told that it is a great experience to be a part of. Gfrerer is involved in dance and trap. She is also manager for the school's football team. During her free time she enjoys hanging out with her friends, reading, watching movies, and listening to music.