60 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    55 °
    55 °
    54 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    63 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    73 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    71 °
    68 °
    66 °
    65 °
July 18
70°/ 53°
July 19
74°/ 54°
July 20
75°/ 59°

60 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    55 °
    55 °
    54 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    63 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    73 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    71 °
    68 °
    66 °
    65 °
July 18
70°/ 53°
July 19
74°/ 54°
July 20
75°/ 59°

OHS Knowledge Bowl takes “pop quiz” to a new level

Some students from the Knowledge bowl team. Top row L-R: Audrey Hudock, Emery Vick, Cora Hess. Bottom row L-R: Trevor Duck and Tanner Smith.
Submitted by Dean Smith

Knowledge Bowl is a club that takes place at the Owatonna High School. In Knowledge Bowl, students are given the opportunity to work as a team to show off their academic skills. When the team competes they do so in meets, each meet has five rounds that students participate in. This includes the written round where they work as a team to answer multiple choice questions and four oral rounds which are set up in a way similar to Jeopardy. Students can work in teams of up to five for the written round and a team of up to four for the oral round. 

Practices for Knowledge Bowl consist of running through questions from previous years or meets, read off by the coaches, Mr. Dan Saehler and Mr.Dean Smith. Students are encouraged to study different topics as well. During meets, students are given practice time and during that time, the coaches talk through possible strategies and clues to help students be successful. 

The OHS Knowledge Bowl is having an excellent season this year. 

We have gotten some strong results from multiple teams; we had four teams finish in the top 10 at the last meet.

— Dan Saehlor

Mr. Saehler said, “We have gotten some strong results from multiple teams; we had four teams finish in the top 10 at the last meet.”

Mr. Saehler is confident that as the season progresses, there will be a couple teams moving forward, potentially to state. 

Senior Carter Hanson is one of many who are having a great season this year. Hanson’s team consists of five members: Matthew Larson, Elijah Leon, Cooper Ackman, John Jirele and himself. 

In their last few meets they have been placing third and fourth in competitions consisting of approximately 30 teams. Paraphrasing what Hanson said, he loves being a part of Knowledge Bowl. 

He said, “It’s probably the most laid-back activity I’m in, the atmosphere is super fun and full of jokes.” 

The entire Knowledge Bowl team is working very hard to continue their successes and potentially progress to state.  The next Knowledge Bowl competition is March 14. 

Ava Flemke
Ava Flemke, Writer
Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.