46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 42°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Moderate rain

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 42°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Moderate rain
Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends,...

The Huskies have high hopes for sections

Jayden Omagi
Teammates encourage each other after taking a timeout.

The Owatonna Girls Basketball team looks to continue their good season into the playoffs.

The Girl’s Basketball team has one more game left in their season. They are going into their last game with a record of 12-13. The team has had their ups and downs with great wins such as Faribault, winning 71-18, and beating Rochester John Marshall and Mankato East.

Girls Basketball captains are seniors Carsyn Brady and Morgan Fisher and junior Abby Shornock. 

Brady said, “Our season has gone a lot better than last year and we are tied for second in our conference.” With the new coaching staff the team will finish substantially better than they did last year as their section record was 9-12 and this year’s record is 12-8. 

Looking at sections, the Huskies have Lakeville North, Lakeville South, Farmington, Rochester Century, Rochester John Marshall, Rochester Mayo, and Northfield in their section.

Head coach Patrick Webb said, “We will have a very tough section this year. We will have to see how this week plays out.” 

Coming up short in last year’s section tournament, the Huskies are looking to make a run in sections this year with one regular season game remaining against Northfield. After the last regular season game, a committee gets together to seed the teams for the section tournament. The Huskies are expecting to get the seventh or eighth seed this year going into sections. 

The new coaching staff has helped bring new energy to the team. Webb said, “This year we have laid the groundwork of the culture we want and an identity of what our program should look like.”

This year we have laid the groundwork of the culture we want and an identity of what our program should look like”

— Coach Pat Webb

This is just one of the many things that the new coaching staff has brought to this team. 

Brady said, “I really like the new coaches and staff. They have given us a new perspective on basketball which has been super helpful.” The coaches brought something new to the team, which sparked something into the team to help them continue to grow throughout the season. 

The Huskies last regular season game is against Northfield at home, Friday, Feb. 23 at 7:30 p.m.

Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.