46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    47 °
    46 °
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 42°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Moderate rain

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    47 °
    46 °
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 42°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Moderate rain

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Gymnastics flipping into State

Back+Row%3A+Averie+Roush%2C+Emma+Johnson%2C+Jozie+Johnson%2C+Halle+Theis%3B+Bottom+Row%3A+Kendra+Miller%2C+Delia+Neumann%2C+Johanna+Spielman%2C+all+give+big+smiles+for+State.+
Ikhlas Haji
Back Row: Averie Roush, Emma Johnson, Jozie Johnson, Halle Theis; Bottom Row: Kendra Miller, Delia Neumann, Johanna Spielman, all give big smiles for State.

After coming in second in team sections, the Owatonna Girls Gymnastics team will send seven gymnasts to the individual state tournament. The following events are being competed by Owatonna’s gymnasts: all-around- Halle Theis, vault- Emma Johnson, Jozie Johnson, and Johanna Spielman, floor- Emma Johnson and Averie Roush, bars- Delia Neumann, and beam- Kendra Miller. Owatonna came up just short in team sections with being behind the number one team in the state Lakeville South by a score of just 0.475.

Even though the overall team did not make it to state, Owatonna still hopes to have a good showing within the individuals participating. The goal stays the same as they prepare for the state meet this upcoming weekend. 

Senior captain Emma Johnson said, “The goal is for everyone to have a good time and do the best routines we can, then hopefully a couple of us can make the podium as well.” Owatonna scored many top scores in sections which should translate well over to the state meet. 

As the gymnasts go into individuals for state, they have set goals and this is what they have worked for the entire season. Junior Halle Theis said, “Making it to state for all-around individuals was one of my biggest goals this season so it feels great to be able to accomplish that.” 

Coach Evan Moe has high expectations for the gymnasts competing. He said, “My goal would be to bring home four medals, but I really just want the girls to be present in the moment and enjoy the opportunity.” The preparation has not changed as Coach Moe said, “They’re peaked and ready to compete. We’re just taking it easy and giving the kids plenty of time to recover between practices.” With sending this many individuals to state and preparing well the huskies look to come out on top.

Doing well is the main goal but having fun and enjoying the meet is also an important part. Theis said, “I’m looking forward to being at the big meet and being able to compete in all of the events one more time this season and hope to have fun no matter what outcome.” As the individuals involved continue to work hard the team hopes for everyone to compete their hardest and have a good time. 

Gymnastics Individual and All-Around State Meet will be held Saturday, Feb. 24 at 6 p.m. at the Roy Wilkens Auditorium. 

About the Contributors
Owen Smith
Owen Smith, Writer
Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved in baseball, basketball, NHS, DECA, and BBBS. When he is not playing baseball and basketball Smith enjoys hanging out with his friends and spending time with his family. He is a really big sports fan and enjoys watching all the Minnesota sports teams. Smith is looking forward to his first year in Magnet and learning more about the student body and becoming a better writer. 
Ikhlas Haji
Ikhlas Haji, Writer
Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication skills. Haji is involved in DECA, Link Crew, NHS, Mixed roots and D.I.G. In her free time you'll find her watching long netflix or hulu series, spending time with her family, or joking around with friends. Haji also loves to travel. She's been to Canada, Netherlands, Denmark, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Kenya, Turkey, North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina. D.C., New York and many more. Haji is excited to meet new people and improve her writing and photography skills in Magnet.