46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
50°/ 45°
Heavy rain
49°/ 43°
69°/ 38°

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
50°/ 45°
Heavy rain
49°/ 43°
69°/ 38°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

New music trends arise among Generation Z

Canva graphic displaying the words New Music on a vinyl record.
Design by Luca Gfrerer
Canva graphic displaying the words “New Music” on a vinyl record.

The world of music is constantly evolving and changing as time goes on. New genres are created, new artists arise and songs are released everyday. Nowadays, it seems that there are more musical artists than ever before–even if some of those artists have small fanbases. 

These smaller singers seem to be discovered through the rise of social media. Some of these artists include Noah Kahan and Wallows. Many artists like these two are discovered every day from spreading their talent on the internet and many of those artists seem to be centered around the Folk and Indie genre. However, this genre has drastically changed from the original ideas and songs that fit into the Folk/Indie category. 

Folk music used to be associated with/inspired by folklore and stories of a certain land or region. Some examples of traditional Indie and Folk artists are Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell. 

Indie music, or Independent music, tends to span across a variety of genres that are all considered to be examples of Indie. These genres still revolve around naturalistic ideas. 

However, it is not quite the same as it used to be. Technology and social trends play a large role in the development of these genres and have caused an array of subgenres to arise. Some of these subgenres are Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Indie Folk, Folk Metal and Folk Rock. Each is  a mixture of multiple genres and tends to have more intense instrumentals and vocals than the typical acoustic Folk and Indie songs. 

Noah Kahan, a Folk artist, has been making music since 2016, but his platform has grown significantly in recent years due to his TikTok page. Like many small artists, he spread his music through social media. In the fall of 2022, his song “Stick Season”  gained popularity through TikTok and was released in October 2022. Since then, he has released the albums “Stick Season”  in 2022, “Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever)” in 2023 and “Stick Season (Forever)” earlier this month on Feb. 9. “Stick Season” consisted of 14 original tracks with only Kahan’s vocals. “Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever)” included those 14 tracks as well as six additional tracks and an extended version of “The View Between Villages.” 

Since this album was released, Kahan re-recorded many of the songs with artists such as Post Malone, Hozier, Sam Fender and Lizzy McAlpine. His most recent album “Stick Season (Forever)” officially includes each of his collaborations as well as his recently released song “Forever.”

OHS senior Emma Green said, “I have been a [Noah Kahan] fan for years, and I love the vibe of his music. I think that his newer music, especially the collaborations, are interesting to listen to, and they add a new twist to his songs.”

Wallows, an Alternative/Indie band, was formed back in 2017 when they released their first song “Pleaser.” Soon after, they released their debut album, “Nothing Happens.” The album included 11 tracks such as “Only Friend” and “Sidelines.” In 2022, the band released their second album, “Tell Me That It’s Over,” and just last week, on Feb. 16, they released the single “Your Apartment.” Along with the single, they made an official music video and had a photoshoot done.  

OHS senior Alayna Wannarka said, “It is the first song they have released in almost two years, so it is really fun to have some new music from them to listen to.”

These artists and genres are just a small portion of the thousands of musicians and musical categories that exist in today’s world. Many changes have been made recently and many more changes are sure to come. 

To listen to music from Noah Kahan, Wallows or any similar artists, go to music streaming platforms such as Spotify, Apple Music or Amazon Music

Luca Gfrerer
Luca Gfrerer, Writer
Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is involved in band, dance and colorguard and is a manager for the school's football team. Outside of school, Gfrerer enjoys reading, listening to music, watching movies and hanging out with her friends.