64 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    56 °
    55 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    54 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

64 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    56 °
    55 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    54 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Wrestlers look to take down state

Raeghen Murry
Five OHS Wrestlers are headed to the state tournament. L to R: Grant Lower, Aliah Fischer, Kaden Lindquist, Trey Hiatt and Blake Fitcher

The Huskies recently traveled to Rochester Mayo Civic Center to compete in individual sections, with this the Huskies were able to have five wrestlers qualify for state. The wrestlers that qualified and are participating in state are: two-time qualifier Kaden Lindquist (107), two-time qualifier Trey Hiatt (139), two-time qualifier Aliah Fischer (142), two-time qualifier Blake Fitcher (215), and first-time qualifier Grant Lower (285). 

The qualification being announced caused a lot of excitement and joy from both the wrestlers and coaches. Coach Derek Johnson said, “Both the Girls and Boys Section Tournaments got significantly tougher this season, as Girls’ participation tripled (but the same amount make it to State) and a tough Albert Lea team rejoined us. With that in mind, sending four boys and one girl is a pretty big accomplishment.” The wrestlers are really looking forward to the state meet. 

The wrestlers put in a lot of time and effort throughout the season to make this all possible. Johnson said, “We always pride our teams on being the best-conditioned in the State, and this year was no different. We are certainly a very young squad, but we are the hardest workers and it pays off this time of year.” 

With the team having a lack of seniors the team turned towards senior captain Grant Lower to help lead the team. Lower said, “My responsibilities as a captain is to make sure everyone works hard and to help the team win at all costs.” The wrestlers are very prepared and ready to go for state. The state qualifiers will continue to compete, and they will continue their rigorous training to end the season with a bang.

The Huskies are competing at the Xcel Energy Center on Friday, Mar. 1 and Saturday, March 2. for individual state.

About the Contributors
Jack Mottl
Jack Mottl, Writer
Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends, playing video games, and spending time with his family. Mottl enjoys the outdoors a lot. He likes fishing, hiking and climbing. Mottl hopes to gain new skills in his writing and photography. Mottl joined Magnet because he thought it would be a fun experience and help improve his journalism skills. Mottl is excited for a good year of Magnet.
Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.
Raeghen Murry
Raeghen Murry, photographer
Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth ministry. In her free time, you can find her watching movies, hanging with friends and family. She joined magnet for photography but then found that doing the school paper was very exciting, and she liked how it was connected with the sport activities at the school.  After high school Murry plans to go to college and major in photography and possibly start her own business.