47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Wrestlers look to take down state

Raeghen Murry
Five OHS Wrestlers are headed to the state tournament. L to R: Grant Lower, Aliah Fischer, Kaden Lindquist, Trey Hiatt and Blake Fitcher

The Huskies recently traveled to Rochester Mayo Civic Center to compete in individual sections, with this the Huskies were able to have five wrestlers qualify for state. The wrestlers that qualified and are participating in state are: two-time qualifier Kaden Lindquist (107), two-time qualifier Trey Hiatt (139), two-time qualifier Aliah Fischer (142), two-time qualifier Blake Fitcher (215), and first-time qualifier Grant Lower (285). 

The qualification being announced caused a lot of excitement and joy from both the wrestlers and coaches. Coach Derek Johnson said, “Both the Girls and Boys Section Tournaments got significantly tougher this season, as Girls’ participation tripled (but the same amount make it to State) and a tough Albert Lea team rejoined us. With that in mind, sending four boys and one girl is a pretty big accomplishment.” The wrestlers are really looking forward to the state meet. 

The wrestlers put in a lot of time and effort throughout the season to make this all possible. Johnson said, “We always pride our teams on being the best-conditioned in the State, and this year was no different. We are certainly a very young squad, but we are the hardest workers and it pays off this time of year.” 

With the team having a lack of seniors the team turned towards senior captain Grant Lower to help lead the team. Lower said, “My responsibilities as a captain is to make sure everyone works hard and to help the team win at all costs.” The wrestlers are very prepared and ready to go for state. The state qualifiers will continue to compete, and they will continue their rigorous training to end the season with a bang.

The Huskies are competing at the Xcel Energy Center on Friday, Mar. 1 and Saturday, March 2. for individual state.

About the Contributors
Jack Mottl
Jack Mottl, Writer
Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends, playing video games, and spending time with his family. Mottl enjoys the outdoors a lot. He likes fishing, hiking and climbing. Mottl hopes to gain new skills in his writing and photography. Mottl joined Magnet because he thought it would be a fun experience and help improve his journalism skills. Mottl is excited for a good year of Magnet.
Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.
Raeghen Murry
Raeghen Murry, photographer
Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth ministry. In her free time, you can find her watching movies, hanging with friends and family. She joined magnet for photography but then found that doing the school paper was very exciting, and she liked how it was connected with the sport activities at the school.  After high school Murry plans to go to college and major in photography and possibly start her own business.