56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
49°/ 45°
51°/ 44°
Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Jace Forcelle is a senior at Owatonna High School. Furthermore, this is his second year in Magnet. Independent of Magnet, Forcelle is a student school board representative for the Owatonna School Board...

56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
49°/ 45°
51°/ 44°

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Owatonna Boys Swim and Dive, breaks the schools 400 and 200 freestyle relay record

The+400+freestyle+relay+team+smiling+after+qualifying+for+the+Minnesota+State+Swimming+and+Diving+tournament.+
Photo Submitted by Coach Tara Lammers
The 400 freestyle relay team smiling after qualifying for the Minnesota State Swimming and Diving tournament.

The Huskies Boys Swim and Dive team had a very successful year but it’s not over yet. With that being said David Rhodes, Phoenix Storm, Jacob Gleason, and Isaiah Smith set the new OHS 400 freestyle relay record and the team is hoping to break even more school records. The team will also be sending four swimmers to state.

The swimmers that qualified for state are senior David Rhodes, Carter Quam, Mathew Larson, and sophomore Isaiah Smith; they are all competing in the 200 free relay team. 

As the swimmers enter state, they have high hopes of doing well. The Huskies broke the 200 freestyle relay twice and broke the 400 freestyle relay at finals. Coach Tara Lammers said, “We hope to break our record again and we hope to make it to finals.” The Huskies are hoping to do well in state and break more school records. 

The state qualifiers are extremely excited to finish their season strong and go to state. Rhodes said, “Our goals are to break our own record again and to place in the top eight.”  

The Huskies are very excited to go to state and they are going to prepare by working harder everyday. Lammers said, “We are going to continue to keep practicing after school and really focusing on our starts and turns and getting those fine tuned things perfected.” 

The Huskies are dedicated to doing well in state so they are going to continue to keep putting in the work at practices. Rhodes said, “We have continued light practices to conserve energy this week and worked a lot on starts and turns. We have also been mentally preparing by visualizing and encouraging each other.”

The boys compete next at the state tournament on Friday, Mar. 1 and on Saturday, Mar. 2 both days they compete at 6 p.m. at Jean K Freeman Aquatic Center. Good luck boys!

Averi Vetsch
Averi Vetsch, Writer
Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find her at her cabin, hanging out with friends and family and going shopping. Vetsch joined Magnet because she enjoys writing, taking photos and wants to improve her writing skills. She is planning on attending a four-year college and pursuing a future in the medical field. Vetsch is excited for her first year of Magnet.