52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    49 °
    48 °
May 1
61°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
52°/ 48°
Moderate rain
May 3
68°/ 44°
Sunny

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    49 °
    48 °
May 1
61°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
52°/ 48°
Moderate rain
May 3
68°/ 44°
Sunny

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Deggy’s Dog pound

February sport highlights, predictions, and shout outs
Oran Dowling

My name is Jackson DeGrood. At OHS Magnet, I am a sports writer, sports editor and a sports enthusiast. Here is my monthly recap of all of the big four sports and major events in the sporting world. Here we also talk about all Minnesota sports and the local Huskies. We also give you our Dawgs of the Month: people who may not get the spotlight, but played spectacular this month.

Looking ahead, March is an extremely special month if you are a basketball fan. If not, then this month can be pretty dry. Let’s get into the sports world happenings of March.

Football:

The Chiefs won the SuperBowl and that is all I have to say. It was the 49ers game to win and they did not. In the offseason, the franchise tag period is happening which is pretty lame but Ladarious Sneed and Tee Higgins both got tagged which is pretty cool to see these young guys get their money. 

The combine is happening soon as well and a lot of people are opting out so that is pretty lame too, I would have loved to see Iowa’s Cooper DeJean participate. For the Vikings, they have major cap room decisions to make this offseason with many expiring and hefty contracts. My prediction is that the Vikings will let Kirk Cousins walk away if he is not willing to take a major pay cut or a heavily backloaded contract. It is predicted, that they will draft a QB and try everything in their power to keep Justin Jefferson.

Basketball:

In the NBA, the East is getting dominated by the Celtics and they are pretty much guaranteed the first seed as long as nothing crazy happens. As for the West, it is wide open. About 12 teams are competing for a playoff spot and about four teams competing for the first seed. I am excited to see the Western Conference play the rest of the season and playoffs, but the East is lackluster. In the east, if the Celtics do not make the finals, it is nothing short of an absolute embarrassment and they would have some decisions to make in the offseason. In the West, all of the eight teams that will advance to playoffs will have a fairly decent chance of making a run to the finals, keeping the West competitive. 

March Madness is also around the corner and there is not much to say since the conference tournaments have not concluded yet, but there are some major sleeper teams that everyone will have to keep an eye out for in March.

Hockey:

The Wild have been on the up and up but they are an extremely long shot to make the playoffs. They have been fun to watch lately and hopefully they have a great season next year. As for the Gophers, they should make playoffs and they will be super fun to watch come playoff time.

A major congratulations goes to the Huskies as they ended their extremely successful season in the second round of sections. Even though their season may have ended early, there were many ups to look at and they were fun to watch all season. 

Deggy’s Dawgs of the month:

Edmonton OIlers’ Connor McDavid (Forward), Minnesota Timberwolves’ Anthony Edward (Guard), Owatonna Huskies’ Brennan Sletten (Goalie), and Boston Celtics’’ Jaylen Brown (Guard/forward).

Overall, the ‘24 sports year is expected to be entertaining and electrifying. In Minnesota, not so much. Stay tuned for March’s edition of Deggy’s Dog Pound as we go in-depth on the big four sports and sporting news. 

About the Contributors
Jackson DeGrood
Jackson DeGrood, Editor
Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas. When DeGrood is not playing Fortnite, he is hanging out with friends or being active. He also enjoys snowmobiling in the winter and trying new things that he has not done before. DeGrood is looking forward to being a part of the first graduating class of the new high school.
Oran Dowling
Oran Dowling, Writer
Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors, watching movies, and playing sports. He plans to go to a two year technical school and get certified to be an electrician. Being trustworthy, having attention to detail and respectful are three important characteristics about him. He joined Magnet because he enjoyed journalism class and wanted to continue working his journalism and learn photography skills.