57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
49°/ 45°
51°/ 44°

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
49°/ 45°
51°/ 44°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

Huskies look to bounce past the section

Junior+Nolan+Ginskey+looks+to+shoot+over+Mayo+defender.+
Jayden Omangi
Junior Nolan Ginskey looks to shoot over Mayo defender.

As the regular season just ended for the boys basketball team, the team looks to make one final push in sections. The Huskies capped off the regular season with a record of 17-9. The team finished with a 13-7 record in the Big Nine which placed them in fifth place. 

With the team’s non-stop battle for a good seed coming into sections, they had to kick it into high gear for the last half of the season, and have won four of their last five games including a nail-biting win over Rochester John Marshall with a final score of 69-68. 

Senior captain Rielly Kleeberger hit three clutch free throws in the final seconds to help the team push past JM.

Kleeberger said, “It felt really good to knock down those free throws. With that being said, everyone on the team played hard, and it was overall a great team win.” 

For the last regular season game of the year, the team had senior night and were able to celebrate all 10 seniors who have dedicated their time and effort throughout the season to be successful. With this came the return of senior captain Jacob Ginskey who has been out for all of the season with a hand injury.

Ginskey said, “Being back was super awesome, especially being that it was senior night. It was great to be back playing with my teammates and competing again.” 

The team’s constant drive for success this season has paid off. Head Coach Josh Williams said, “The overall progress that the team has made, especially offensively over the season has been great to see.” 

We have had some tough losses over the season but have also had some big wins like Eau Claire Memorial. The team is looking past that though and are ready to compete in sections.

— Rielly Kleeberger

The Huskies received the fifth seed and will play at Rochester Century. With this news the Huskies will be practicing every day to prepare for Rochester Century and hopefully future section games. Kleeberger said, “We have had some tough losses over the season but have also had some big wins like Eau Claire Memorial. The team is looking past that though and are ready to compete in sections.” 

The Huskies first section game is on Tuesday, Mar. 5 at 8:01 p.m. against Rochester Century at Rochester Century High School.

About the Contributors
Jack Mottl
Jack Mottl, Writer
Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends, playing video games, and spending time with his family. Mottl enjoys the outdoors a lot. He likes fishing, hiking and climbing. Mottl hopes to gain new skills in his writing and photography. Mottl joined Magnet because he thought it would be a fun experience and help improve his journalism skills. Mottl is excited for a good year of Magnet.
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!