56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
49°/ 45°
51°/ 44°

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
49°/ 45°
51°/ 44°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Opinion: Is PSEO beneficial for you?

On March 6 at OHS there is a meeting for students involving PSEO at 6:30 p.m.
Riverland Community College

What is PSEO? PSEO stands for Post-Secondary Enrollment Options. This type of class allows students to enroll in classes at a college campus while earning credits for college and high school for free. PSEO is not involved with a student’s high school. The student will go to the college campus and learn about topics at the college level. This can be beneficial for students because it can help students and parents save money. The colleges that are offered to students at Owatonna High School are Riverland Community College, Southwest Minnesota State University, and Minnesota State University, Mankato.

How is PSEO beneficial to students?

PSEO helps students earn college credits in high school. Students can get a college experience during high school before they graduate to get a feeling of what it is going to be like. Students can develop the skills they will need, such as college-level studying habits and time management skills. It also teaches students how to be academically independent and builds communication skills since it is a students first time practicing learning outside of a high school level.

At OHS Counselor Sara Craig informs students about PSEO and how it helps students.

Ms. Craig said, “There are a number of reasons to take PSEO classes but I think the primary one is the opportunity to take a number of classes that we don’t offer here. If they already know what they want to do outside of high school it’s a really good way to get ahead.” Classes that a student takes get added onto their college transcript along with their credits. 

At OHS there are different variety of classes offered to help students earn college credits along with PSEO. Those include Concurrent Enrollment and Advanced Placement (AP). 

How are PSEO and Concurrent Different

As long as the student passes the PSEO class, they are guaranteed a college credit, unlike AP classes where it may depend on the test. PSEO is a great way for students to challenge themselves academically while saving time and money. 

Sophomore Ella Henriksen states her opinion on the PSEO course she took this school year. 

Henriksen said, “I would strongly recommend it to other students because it can help you save money.” A student doing PSEO saves money while gaining college experience at the same time.

Does a student’s PSEO grades affect their grades in high school? 

The answer is no, they are not weighted on a student’s high school transcript. If a student doesn’t pass one of their PSEO classes then they will get an academic warning for the following semester. Then those grades will be permanently on their college transcript but they will not be charged for the class.

Senior Amelia Cook is a student attending OHS while doing PSEO. 

Cook said, “It’s been very good, I like being able to work at my own pace and still have high school classes too… a mix of both.” Even with there being a challenge of balancing both types of school at the same time. Students can keep their grades steady in their high school classes. 

How does a student know if they fulfill the requirements for PSEO? 

If a student wants to attend Southwest Minnesota State University, a senior has to be in the top one-half of their class, have a GPA of 3.0, or have a score of 21 on the ACT. For a junior, a student is required to be in the top one-third of their class, have a GPA of 3.0, or have a 24 ACT score. Sophomore students have to be in the top ten of their class, have a GPA of 3.5, and score in the top ten for a nationally standardized test. 

It’s been very good, I like being able to work at my own pace and still have high school classes too… a mix of both

— Amelia Cook

To be accepted into Minnesota State University, Mankato, a senior needs to be in the top one-half of their class. A minimum GPA of 3.0 or a score of 21 on their ACT. A junior needs to be in the top one-third of their class and have a GPA of 3.3 or an ACT score of 24. 

To attend Riverland Community College, a junior must need to be in the top one-third of their class. Have a test score either at or above the 70th percentile on a nationally standardized test. Some examples would be the ACT, PSAT, or SAT. A senior must have to be in the top one-half of their class, or they need to score above the 50th percentile on any nationally standardized test like the others listed. 

PSEO is a great way for students to challenge themselves academically while saving money at the same time. It opens students up to college life before they graduate from high school. Three colleges are offering to help students gain college credits within Owatonna, Minnesota. If a student chooses to do PSEO it can help them gain two years of college for free,  then they have the experience and skills they need after high school.

Asha Abdi
Asha Abdi, Writer
Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi likes to play her instrument in a trio at weddings, hangout with friends, spend time with family, and has recently gotten a job. She joined OHS Magnet because she wants to make a career out of writing and to improve her writing skills.