54 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
April 27
60°/ 51°
April 28
48°/ 46°
Moderate rain
April 29
47°/ 43°

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

54 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
April 27
60°/ 51°
April 28
48°/ 46°
Moderate rain
April 29
47°/ 43°

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Editorial: Break off from school stress

Designed with Canva to show the stresses students encounter on a daily basis.
Joanna Haggerty

As prideful as OHS is on its esteemed excellence in aspects of learning, undeniable flaws are also present. Deeply rooted schedules, deadlines, in-classroom expectations, and sport standards all affect the characteristics of student’s and teachers’ actions.

Classman Stressors

Contributing to each student’s driven longing for success and popularity in various outlets, all are attempting to hide the founding question. What am I doing with my life? The loaded question is altering each lifestyle from freshman to seniors all catered around the personalized vocation of the future. Whether that’s scheduling yourself out for the next two to four years. Possibly allowing time for a self-realization to happen. 

For the upperclassmen, all attributes of high school are being tested by the call to adulthood. Life-changing exams are being performed, lasting memories are becoming less repeatable and all responsibilities are seemingly more intense. This deadening pressure of unknown wants is starting to enter the minds of juniors and seniors. These spiraling thoughts include college applications, deciding whether hobbies should dictate the future careers, AP Exams, lasting relationships and wanting to achieve too much all at once. Giving these coming months to be deeply rooted in busy work.

In addition to the upper class, freshman and sophomores are tying up their first years here at OHS. By experiencing the environment, students now know what is best for them. Giving them the tools to plan their future for their high school career. Although this time can be under the illusion of filled excitement, hundreds of options lead to students feeling the pressure of the future.

Effects of Burdens

Many teenagers experience daily stressors and often use their internalized frustrations to take it out on teachers. Who can be easily “labeled“ as the culprit of the workload? Words like it is my math teacher’s fault that I failed the exam or it is my teacher’s fault for not preparing me for the pop quiz. All relatable examples that students believe they are subjectively under. Creating this exaggerated agenda upon teachers when teachers are only present to help teach, guide, and support students through their studies. Due to these situations, teachers often get blamed for the stress students feel. 

To help lessen the burdens of school life, we as a student body must express our gratitude to teachers in a respectful way. By following student-teacher boundaries, more successful environments can be created inside the classroom. 

With all attributes of the future coming face to face with the OHS student’s and staff, many should use this coming Spring Break ( March 22 – 29 ) to release the stresses. Use this time to comprehend what is valuable and necessary for all individuals.

Joanna Haggerty
Joanna Haggerty, Web Designer
Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new member to Concert Choir. Outside of school, Haggerty is a member of her church choir and enjoys spending time with friends. Haggerty has no permanent plans for the future but does know she wants to attain a four year college for business and law. This is Haggerty's second year involved in Magnet and she loves it because it makes her feel more confident in her writing, photography and communication skills.