46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
48°/ 43°
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
48°/ 43°
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Torrin Smith tackles the challenge of college football

Torrin+Smith+lines+up+before+the+play+against+Hastings+
Jayden Omangi
Torrin Smith lines up before the play against Hastings

As Torrin Smith’s senior year comes to an end, Smith has had a very successful football season and looks to continue his success in track and field. Smith was a captain for football and will be a captain for this upcoming track and field season. Although Smith loves track and field, his first love is football and has committed to playing football at Gustavus Adolphus College. 

The recruiting process was difficult at first, but once Smith visited Gustavus, Smith knew that was the college he wished to attend. Smith said, “Figuring out what school to go to and which one felt like home was my biggest challenge.” 

Smith had people show him guidance along the way. Smith said, “The Owatonna coaches always pushed me to be better and they never let me settle for being average. I think that’s the biggest thing that’s improved me not only as an athlete but as a person.” His coaches served as great role models and helped him get to where he is today. 

Smith has been playing football since third grade and has never stopped loving the sport. He had a great season this year and looks forward to continuing his skill at Gustavus Adolphus College. Smith is also involved in track and field, in which he throws shot put and discus. Smith said, “It’s a great feeling. It’s always been a goal of mine to play at the next level, so it’s really nice to know I’ve accomplished it.” 

Playing a sport at the next level is difficult no matter what level you are going to. You have to know how to juggle your athletics and academics. Smith said, “It will be challenging at first, but once I get into a routine I think that I will have it figured out.” 

Exercise physiology is a basic and applied science that describes, explains, and uses the body’s responses to acute exercise and its adaptation to chronic training to maximize human physical potential. Smith is very interested in the human body and will major in exercise science. 

With the football season over, Smith looks to have a great season in track and field and continues to look forward to his football season at Gustavus. 

About the Contributors
Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!