47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
April 29
48°/ 43°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
April 29
48°/ 43°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Grant Lower commits to Bemidji State

Jayden Omangi
Grant Lower smiling after a big sectional win against Rochester John Marshall.

As his senior year comes to a close Grant Lower has had very successful sports seasons as well as staying in check with academics. Lower has shown commitment and leadership being a three- sport athlete and wrestling captain. He is committed to Division ll powerhouse Bemidji State to continue his academics and his sporting career to play football, he will be majoring in exercise science. 

Making it to the next level is not easy and is something that any individual who makes it should be extremely proud of. Lower said, “Making it to the next level feels amazing, it makes it seem like all the work I’ve put in has all been worth it.” Lower has put in relentless effort and time to make it this far and he has no plan on turning back.

Lower became quite the force on the team and was not someone to mess with on the field. Head coach Jeff Williams said, “ Grant was a devastating run blocker and really improved on his pass protection throughout his season. He was a force to be reckoned with.” Lower was a key part of the Huskies offensive game plan week after week and he hopes to make the same impact when he heads up to Bemidji State. 

College comes with lots of mixed emotions. Major feelings of nervousness and excitement as it is a new setting that you’re not used to and it is a new challenge in life now that you’re responsible for yourself. Lower said, “I’m most excited about getting to the campus and training. Seeing all the new equipment and challenges that are going to come along with it.” Bemidji State has some of the nicest facilities in all of the local universities and they are excited to have Lower explore the opportunities.

As Lower finishes up the year he will stay in the moment and finish up his high school days. Lower is excited to see what the future holds and will continue to work towards his goals.

About the Contributors
Blake Fitcher
Blake Fitcher, Writer
Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills. Fitcher believes Magnet would give him an opportunity to become better at being a journalist. He wants to graduate high school and go to a 2-4 year college to continue his academic and athletic career. He enjoys hanging out with friends in his free time and also listening to music while going out driving with friends. 
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!