47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

New Spanish classes coming to OHS next year

Course registration looked a little bit different this year with a longer list of language class options. OHS has added two new classes: Conversational Spanish and Spanish for Heritage Speakers. 

Spanish for Heritage Speakers is a class designed for Spanish-speaking students. This class is similar to an English class that students take. Things such as grammar, vocabulary and culture are learned. This is a unique opportunity for heritage speakers, providing them with the things they need to be successful in their everyday lives. 

Conversational Spanish is a new class coming next year as well. This class is available for students who have completed Spanish II or higher. This is a quarter-long class that focuses less on the grammar and vocabulary aspects of the language and more on the communication and conversing skills. 

You can’t say you speak Spanish until you actually speak Spanish.

— Ms. Michelle Ingvaldson

These classes aim to benefit students in a multitude of ways. Spanish teacher Michelle Ingvaldson said, “Studies show that native Spanish speakers that take a heritage class will do better in all of their courses, benefiting them throughout their entire scholastic career.” The Conversational Spanish class can be very beneficial for students. 

The ability to practice and speak on a theme will make students much more fluent. Ingvladson said, “You can’t say you speak Spanish until you actually speak Spanish.” Taking these classes will help students become more culturally aware and better off in their future careers and lives. 

Junior Jacob Sherwood is currently enrolled in Spanish III and is planning to take the new Conversational Spanish class next year. Sherwood said, “I think that speaking Spanish is honestly just cool.” Sherwood wants to speak Spanish in the future and will use conversational practice to make him more successful.

The Conversational Spanish and Spanish for Heritage Speakers classes provide many opportunities for students looking to enrich their Spanish speaking skills as well as better setting students up for their future careers.

Ava Flemke
    Ava Flemke, Writer
    Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.