60 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    55 °
    55 °
    54 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    63 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    73 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    71 °
    68 °
    66 °
    65 °
July 18
70°/ 53°
July 19
74°/ 54°
July 20
75°/ 59°

60 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    56 °
    55 °
    55 °
    54 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    63 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    73 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    73 °
    71 °
    68 °
    66 °
    65 °
July 18
70°/ 53°
July 19
74°/ 54°
July 20
75°/ 59°

New Spanish classes coming to OHS next year

Course registration looked a little bit different this year with a longer list of language class options. OHS has added two new classes: Conversational Spanish and Spanish for Heritage Speakers. 

Spanish for Heritage Speakers is a class designed for Spanish-speaking students. This class is similar to an English class that students take. Things such as grammar, vocabulary and culture are learned. This is a unique opportunity for heritage speakers, providing them with the things they need to be successful in their everyday lives. 

Conversational Spanish is a new class coming next year as well. This class is available for students who have completed Spanish II or higher. This is a quarter-long class that focuses less on the grammar and vocabulary aspects of the language and more on the communication and conversing skills. 

You can’t say you speak Spanish until you actually speak Spanish.

— Ms. Michelle Ingvaldson

These classes aim to benefit students in a multitude of ways. Spanish teacher Michelle Ingvaldson said, “Studies show that native Spanish speakers that take a heritage class will do better in all of their courses, benefiting them throughout their entire scholastic career.” The Conversational Spanish class can be very beneficial for students. 

The ability to practice and speak on a theme will make students much more fluent. Ingvladson said, “You can’t say you speak Spanish until you actually speak Spanish.” Taking these classes will help students become more culturally aware and better off in their future careers and lives. 

Junior Jacob Sherwood is currently enrolled in Spanish III and is planning to take the new Conversational Spanish class next year. Sherwood said, “I think that speaking Spanish is honestly just cool.” Sherwood wants to speak Spanish in the future and will use conversational practice to make him more successful.

The Conversational Spanish and Spanish for Heritage Speakers classes provide many opportunities for students looking to enrich their Spanish speaking skills as well as better setting students up for their future careers.

Ava Flemke
    Ava Flemke, Writer
    Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.