56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
59°/ 50°
48°/ 45°
48°/ 43°

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
59°/ 50°
48°/ 45°
48°/ 43°

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

NYT games intrigue intellectuals

Design by Luca Gfrerer
Canva graphic displaying a word search with various New York Times games in it.

Although The New York Times has been a well-known newspaper since 1851, its popularity among younger generations has spiked in the last couple of years. There are the classic newspaper games–crosswords, sudoku and word finds, but NYT has begun to create new games that have captured the attention of millions. Games like Wordle, Spelling Bee and Connections are just a few of the many that come to mind. 

The first game that seemed to intrigue the public was Wordle, released in Oct. 2021. The player is given six chances to guess a random five-letter word and is notified as they guess the correct letters. By Jan. 2022, there were over 300 thousand daily players, and that number is constantly rising. Because of these original followers, other games like the MiniSpelling Bee and Tiles grew in popularity. One of the most played games as of now is Connections, which was released in July 2023. Connections consist of 16 words that comprise four groups of four connected words, and each group is ranked at a different difficulty level. 

OHS senior Ava Kleeberger said, “I used to do the Wordle a lot, and that is how I discovered the other games, like Connections, which is my favorite.”

Many people play these games not only because they are quick and easy, but they test the players’ knowledge and ability to use hints to solve each puzzle. They are the type of activity that gets played once and hooks the player to do it again and again every day. Additionally, The New York Times does not require players to make a subscription to play most games, so many more people have automatic access. 

Because millions worldwide now keep up with The New York Times and the games it offers, it was no surprise when the new game Strands became just as popular within days of its release earlier this month on Mar. 4. It is essentially a word find where all the words relate to a given category or phrase. 

OHS junior Izzy Muir said, “I just started playing Strands a couple of days ago. I can’t do anything without hints, so I just find random words.”

There is already a sizable collection of games for anyone to partake in, but The New York Times will continue to release more and more as the years go on, so make sure to keep an eye out for new releases. To play each and every one of these games, visit the official New York Times website. New challenges are released daily, and hints and answers are provided by the newspaper and other websites.

Luca Gfrerer
Luca Gfrerer, Writer
Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is involved in band, dance and colorguard and is a manager for the school's football team. Outside of school, Gfrerer enjoys reading, listening to music, watching movies and hanging out with her friends.