56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
59°/ 50°
48°/ 45°
48°/ 43°

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
59°/ 50°
48°/ 45°
48°/ 43°
Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

ACT Testing is set for April

ACT+testing+is+scheduled+for+April+23rd+at+OHS+
Ethan Armstrong
ACT testing is scheduled for April 23rd at OHS

It is that time of year again ACT testing is just around the corner. The junior class has the opportunity to take the test that all juniors, around the nation, have the opportunity to take. The ACT is the most recognized standardized test in the country, second to the SAT. While filling out college applications, many will ask various scores on the ACT’s. However, most colleges are now leaning towards being test-optional, and even more are going this route.

The ACT is scheduled to be taken on April 23. It is still quite important to perform well on this test. Many juniors are preparing themselves for the test.

Junior Tayte Berg said he has no nerves going into the test. He said, “I have studied very hard and am very much ready.” Berg also said although his scores may not be required at the colleges he applies for, he will still submit them.

He said, “I will have it on there for them if they ask for it”. There are many different ways to study for the ACT. Berg said, “I am going to take practice tests and study for the ACT”.

Although this is one of the biggest tests of the year for most students, over 95 percent of colleges are test-optional, which means that many test scores are not required on college applications. Pre-pandemic, these numbers were much lower with about 45 percent being test-optional.

During COVID, these numbers changed drastically because distance learning affected how students took these tests and their overall learning ability.

Junior Kalleigh Malecha said, “If I get a score I am pleased with, then I will submit it, otherwise I won’t put it in.” Along with this, Malecha has prepared by doing ACT prep questions in math and taking practice tests to see her scores.

Assistant Principal Administrative Shannon Dewitz said, ”We are still finalizing space but are currently looking at the Foundation Room and the Auxiliary Gym along with a couple of classrooms.” This will be a bit of a change from last year. Instead of exclusively testing in the computer lab and classrooms, there will be lots of students in a large space.

Dewitz said, “The testing team is having to rethink logistics of the best locations to use/spaces that are quiet for the testers but interrupt the rest of the students as little as possible during their regular school day.”

This is a big test, but it should not be a stressor for students. If students prepare well and study hard, many should be proud of themselves no matter the score that they receive. However, students may retake the ACT multiple times if they chose.

Ethan Armstrong
Ethan Armstrong, Writer
Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends, being active outside, going on walks with his dog, and playing sports. He lives with his mom, dad, and sister. Being loyal, trustworthy and respectful are three important characteristics about him. He plans to go to a four year college but is not sure of a major yet. This is his second year being on magnet staff. He joined Magnet last year because he wanted to amplify his journalism and photography skills.