56 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
59°/ 50°
48°/ 45°
48°/ 43°

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

56 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
59°/ 50°
48°/ 45°
48°/ 43°
Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Hodgman pitches to success to the next level

Senior+Kennedy+Hodgman+will+pitch+for+UW-+Stout+next+spring.+
Abby Vetsch
Senior Kennedy Hodgman will pitch for UW- Stout next spring.

As Kennedy Hodgman’s senior year comes to a close, she looks to continue her success from the last softball season into this season. Hodgman’s successes helped leap her into a chance to play college softball at the University of Wisconsin, Stout. 

During the recruiting process, Hodgman’s biggest challenge was the choice between her schools and which one felt like home. Hodgman said, “I had a couple of schools that interested me but UW-Stout felt like home.” 

Hodgman has been playing softball for 11 years and it has always been a dream of hers to play softball at the collegiate level. Hodgman said,  “It is a really big accomplishment and it was a goal of mine for a long time and it felt good to finally fulfill it.” Hodgman wants to play softball for as long as she can. Playing at the collegiate level continues her love for the sport.

It is a really big accomplishment and it was a goal of mine for a long time and it felt good to finally fulfill it.”

— Kennedy Hodgman

No matter the level, playing collegiate athletics is difficult. You have to have two separate lives and somehow make time for both. Hodgman said, “Knowing how to juggle my school work and athletics will be a challenge, but with help and good time management skills all will go well.” 

Hodgman’s coaches and the community helped show her the way to continue to excel as a person and as an athlete. Hodgman said, “The Owatonna community and my coaches pushed me to be my best and it helped me achieve my goal of playing in college.” 

Hodgman loves to mentor the youth and be involved in activities to help younger kids achieve their goals. Hodgman said, “My advice to people who want to play at the next level is to always work hard no matter what. The harder you will work, the more goals you will achieve.” Given Hodgman’s hard work and dedication to the sport, it catapulted her into a position where she can continue her athletics at the next level.

Hodgman’s coach was also very ecstatic for her commitment. Head softball coach Jeremy Moran said, “Pitching in softball takes so much extra effort to get to the level Kennedy is at. All her hard work over the past few years has paid off. I am very proud and excited to see what she can accomplish.” Coach Moran has coached Hodgman for many years and is very excited to see what she can do this season and at the next level. 

Hodgman plans to major in biology, she has been interested in biology for a long time. She has taken lots of biology classes in high school which gave her an even better understanding of biology going into college. 

About the Contributors
Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.
Abby Vetsch
Abby Vetsch, Writer
Abby Vetsch is a senior at OHS. This is her first year being involved in Magnet. Vetsch is a captain of the soccer team, a captain of the hockey team and a YoungLife President. She is also involved in NHS, Big Brothers Big Sisters, coaching boys U9 soccer and a Sunday school teacher. In her free time, she can be found at her cabin, hanging out with her friends and family and walking her dogs. She joined magnet to improve her writing skills and liked how Magnet was a way to be involved in all school activities. After high school, Vetsch plans to attend a four year university majoring in biology or exercise since then continuing on into med school to work in pediatric health care.