74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
July 26
79°/ 60°
July 27
82°/ 66°
Partly Cloudy
July 28
81°/ 67°
Sunny

74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
July 26
79°/ 60°
July 27
82°/ 66°
Partly Cloudy
July 28
81°/ 67°
Sunny

2024 State of the State Address to be held at Owatonna High School

Part I: Minnesota Governor Tim Walz is passionate about education
Minnesota+Governor+Tim+Walz+will+give+his+State+of+the+State+Address+on+March+26+at+OHS.+
Norah Sletten
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz will give his State of the State Address on March 26 at OHS.

On March 26, Gov. Tim Walz will be giving his State of the State Address at Owatonna High School. The State of the State Address is a speech that is traditionally given annually by United States governors. This speech will give legislators and the community deeper insight into Gov. Walz’s goals and plans for the upcoming year. 

Citizens of Owatonna are looking forward to having Gov. Walz in their community for his State of the State Address this coming Tuesday. Since the opening of the new Owatonna High School, he and his delegation have been to OHS multiple times to commemorate the new opening. 

About the new high school,  Gov. Walz said, “We want this to be the best state for families to grow up in. We want to make those investments in education and healthcare. When you go in there it just embodies that.” 

With Gov. Walz’s goals for education in Minnesota, OHS and the opportunities it offers students embody great success for the community. Students are able to explore career paths in the medical field, the culinary arts and woodworking. In the past, there was always a push for students to attend a four-year institution after high school graduation—but OHS has been helping students find the correct path for them–whether that means going to a four-year college or not. 

We want this to be the best state for families to grow up in. We want to make those investments in education and healthcare. When you go in there it just embodies that.

— Gov. Tim Walz

OHS has been expanding students’ horizons while allowing them countless options for a future career. Gov. Walz said, “We are reimagining education. If a four-year degree is your path we absolutely want to make that affordable…but that’s not the path for everybody.” 

The Free School Meals for Kids Program came into effect at the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year. This bill was signed by Gov. Walz on March 17, 2023. Since this program was put into place, Minnesota students are able to eat school meals for free regardless of household income. 

The state of Minnesota has seen an increase in school performance because of the Free School Meals for Kids Program—and Gov. Walz plans to keep this program in place. Gov. Walz said, “We have seen attendance start to rebound almost back to pre-pandemic levels…if you get a good breakfast it makes it easier to learn and especially for younger kids, it makes it easier to moderate behavior.” 

Gov. Walz sees much of his goals for education being achieved at Owatonna High School, hence being the reason for why he thought it was the perfect place to give his annual State of the State Address. In his address, he plans to discuss the importance of education in Minnesota. While also outlining his plans for 2024. News reporters and journalists will be attending the event from the OHS Auditorium, and it will be streamed on Minnesota House Live Webcast at 7 p.m.

Norah Sletten
Norah Sletten, Editor
Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved in Owatonna Girls Cross Country, Rotary Club and Drama Club. Outside of school, she is a part of the Youth Oriented Leadership Organization (YOLO), a mental health and anti-tobacco advocacy group in Steele County. Sletten enjoys listening to music, hanging out with friends and working as a barista at Hyvee Starbucks. In her future, she hopes to attend Carleton College and major in Cinema and Media Studies.