47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
    60 °
    63 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends,...

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
    60 °
    63 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Construction Tech class builds for better

Replica+of+sheds+being+built+by+OHS+construction+tech+class.+
Photo submitted by Mr. Forcelle.
Replica of sheds being built by OHS construction tech class.

The Construction Tech class at OHS is putting their skills together and building sheds for the community. Construction Tech is a semester-long class available for 10 -12 grade students. Among many other projects, this class tests the students’ knowledge through the building of sheds. Sheds will start getting built in April, after spring break. 

This year, two of the sheds have been bought by the athletic department at OHS. One shed is going to an elementary school and one shed does not yet have a final destination. Building these sheds is a long but worthwhile process: they start with the flooring system and floor sheeting, then build the walls and attach trusses, do the sheeting on the walls and roof, apply the shingles and install the doors and windows if they are needed for the particular shed. Siding, roofing and garage doors will be installed and they will then be shipped to their home location.  The sheds are currently being built at the Owatonna Business Center on the other side of 35-W. 

It is tech teacher, Mr. Daniel Forcelle’s first year teaching at OHS and he is eager to get started working on the sheds with his students. Mr. Forcelle said, “This gives kids a great hands-on experience with the basic skills needed to complete a construction project.” 

Like Mr. Forcelle, students are also very excited to work on the sheds. OHS Senior Leyton Williams said, “I am excited to get experience and be able to give back to the community.” Students appreciate the class and this opportunity because it provides them with knowledge and basic skills in real construction. Having the ability to build something that is important and will actually be used is very rewarding. OHS senior Joey Pirkl said, “I’m excited to be able to build something with our hands and get to actually see the finished product.” 

Construction Tech is a class among many that helps students within their pathways and helps them reach their future goals. This is a unique and rewarding opportunity for students regardless of whether they are looking to pursue a career in the construction industry or just want to expand their knowledge and try new things. 

Ava Flemke
Ava Flemke, Writer
Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.