64 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    56 °
    55 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    54 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends,...

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

64 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    56 °
    55 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    54 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Celebrating National Pet Day

National Pet Day is on Thursday, April 11.  It began in 2006, when Animal Welfare Advocate, Colleen Page, who is an animal behaviorist decided she wanted to celebrate the joy that pets bring into people’s lives. As a Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert, she wanted to celebrate all pets. 

Pet ownership in the U.S. has jumped significantly over the past three decades. According to Michelle Megna for Forbes Magazine,  “In 2024, 66% of U.S. households (86.9 million homes) owned a pet. That’s an increase from 56% in 1988, pet ownership statistics. From companionship to emotional support, pets are a vital part of their owner’s lives.” When many people think of pets a dog or cat would normally come to mind, but pets can look a little bit different than that. Some may be a Ferret, Amphibians, Pygmy Goat, Racoon,Camel and many more. 

People will get a pet for various reasons. Some people may get a pet because they feel alone and want a best friend. Getting a pet has proven that it can increase your responsibility, relieve stress, boost your immunity, increase one’s mood dramatically, make them more active and it will make them happier.

OHS Agriculture teacher Ms. Jamie Gray says “Pets are a great way to get through hard times and happy times. I think they’re really important because they can help with keeping your mental health healthy. I think that they can help just give you a responsibility and a reason to sometimes do life,” Pets can be so helpful and mean so much to their owners. 

Senior Reagan Saufferer says, “When having ferrets I feel like they are more exciting because you don’t see them around often, they make me feel really great and they are really good pets overall,” Having unique pets can bring out the best in their owner.  

If one does not have a pet but still feels like they should be celebrated they can always consider spending some time visiting a shelter, local pet store, or any local farm where they can pet animals. 

Victoria Contreras
Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that being in Magnet will help her achieve that. It is also a great way to see what other students are doing and getting to know more about the school. Contreras is involved in YoungLife, Thriving Minds, Girls United and Track and Field. Outside of school, she enjoys hanging out with her friends and family, being active, shopping and watching Rom Com movies. She is excited to get started and see what her last year has to offer.