47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
    60 °
    63 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°
Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
    60 °
    63 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Chloe Gfrerer is a sophomore at OHS. It is her first year in Magnet. She decided to join to improve her journalism skills because she has an interest in journalism. She also got told that it is a great...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

2024 seniors deciding to go east for college

Three+OHS+2024+seniors+going+to+the+east++for+college.+
Andres Contreras
Three OHS 2024 seniors going to the east for college.

As the OHS 2023-2024 seniors enter their final quarter of the school year many of them are committing to the college they will be attending for the next four years. Some seniors have committed to going to college in Minnesota or surrounding states, and some have decided to join the workforce. Some have even decided to commit to colleges outside of Minnesota, specifically on the East Coast. 

Choosing where to go and even what to do after graduation is a huge step for a high school student to take. Whether someone will go to college, trade, or choose to take a gap year; it is all a big decision to make. 

In the state of Minnesota, it is not uncommon for kids to study at an in-state school and it is also not uncommon for kids to attend a postsecondary institution after their four years in high school. According to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education, 70 percent of high school students attend a postsecondary institution after getting their high school diploma. Out of those 70 percent, only 28 percent of students attend a college out-of-state; these colleges are typically in surrounding states such as Wisconsin, Iowa, and North or South Dakota. 

I have always wanted to be in New York and NYU has always been my dream school since I visited New York for the first time in the sixth grade.”

— Ella Heyne

OHS senior Ella Heyne will be attending New York University in New York City, New York, this upcoming fall. NYU is a very selective school, only accepting eight percent of people. Heyne is currently ranked number one in the OHS 2024 senior class. NYU has been Heyne’s dream school since she visited New York for the first time. 

Heyne is extremely overjoyed that she will be attending NYU. Even though NYU is thousands of miles away from Minnesota, Heyne is not nervous to go. She said, “I have always wanted to be in New York and NYU has always been my dream school since I visited New York for the first time in the sixth grade.” 

Heyne’s sister, Claire Heyne, currently attends Duke University in Durham, North Carolina as a sophomore. Heyne said, “My sister goes to school in North Carolina so she is also really far away and she has never struggled with feeling homesick, and I don’t think I will either.” This means that her family is already used to having a family member go far away for school. 

I choose MIT because of their engineering program, also because of their overall financial package. MIT was able to help me and my family, which was a big thing for me. I really appreciate that they are able to really value my future and education.”

— Jose Rosas

OHS senior Jose Rosas will attend Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts, this fall. MIT is also extremely selective, they only accept four point five percent of people. MIT was a clear choice for Rosas since he plans to major in biomedical engineering and MIT has one of the best programs for that career path. 

Rosas was in between four amazing schools Baylor University, University of Michigan, University of Notre Dame and Massachusetts Institute of Technology before he officially committed to Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Many factors influenced Rosas to commit to MIT. He said, “I choose MIT because of their engineering program, also because of their overall financial package. MIT was able to help me and my family, which was a big thing for me. I really appreciate that they are able to really value my future and education.”

Deciding to attend MIT is an extremely difficult decision to make with it being as far and prestigious as it is. Rosas said, “Attending an out-of-state college is a way for me to be able to get out and to learn about the world and the country as a whole, it’s a way for me to expand my knowledge and how I can grow as a person; leaving the midwest and just learning about different parts of the country to see how they are doing. It also gives me the opportunity to pick up different things I never would have living anywhere else.”

I picked Purdue because of the atmosphere of the campus when I got there, it’s big yet it can feel small too. Everyone on campus was excited to be there and everyone had good things to say about it.”

— Kali Clauson

OHS senior Kali Clauson will be attending Purdue University Fort Wayne in Fort Wayne, Indiana, this upcoming fall. Clauson is extremely excited yet nervous about starting this thrilling chapter of her life. 

Clauson chose Purdue University Fort Wayne because of how welcoming the atmosphere is there. Also, her aunt lives in Indiana so even though she’ll be far from home she will have family nearby. She said, “I picked Purdue because of the atmosphere of the campus when I got there, it’s big yet it can feel small too. Everyone on campus was excited to be there and everyone had good things to say about it. You can just feel the culture right when you walk in the doors and I feel like I did not feel that at many colleges, so that is why I picked Purdue.” Clauson is extremely excited right now but as it gets closer to fall she will start feeling more nervous about actually moving away. 

After graduating high school, students get thrown into the real world. Whether students are ready to attend a university, or institution, go into trades, or even take a gap year it is important to know that it is their path and no one else’s. As students graduate it is even more important to acknowledge that—one person’s path is not everyone’s path, one person’s plan may not be everyone’s plan—and that is okay. 

Wherever the path leads for the seniors of Owatonna High School class of 2024, best of wishes with all your future endeavors.  Commencement for the Class of 2024 will be on Friday, June 7, 2024.

Andres Contreras
Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school. In school he is involved in Key Club, DIG, Thriving Minds, and Link Crew; through Best Buddies and Link Crew, he has the leadership roles of secretary and commissioner. When he is not at school, you can find Contreras having fun with his friends and family, shopping, or binge-watching a new TV show. Contreras plans to attend a four-year university in which he will major in political science and minor in Spanish. He is extremely excited about his senior year and final year in Magnet.