46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Behind the scenes of the OHS Prom Committee

Ava Flemke
Prom Committee heads: Emma Johnson, Samantha Bogen, Madelyn Fisher, Elizabeth Radel, Mariah Cuellar and Kate Sande planning for prom.

The OHS Prom Committee has been working hard to make this year’s Prom one of a kind. Typically, Prom Committee begins meeting just after winter break, but this year they first met a few weeks prior to that. Prom Committee is comprised of seniors, or heads, who begin getting the major things planned like the theme of prom and what each individual stop will look like. 

Senior Prom head Samantha Bogen said, “I enjoy the opportunity of getting to plan and choose what our Prom night will look like.” Bogen and many other Prom Committee members enjoy being able to express their creativity in designing such unique and intricate scenery for everyone to enjoy. There are also sophomores and juniors that help to decorate and do any further planning.

Each head is in charge of their own stop. They plan and design the stops and create shopping lists of everything that needs to be ordered, usually consisting of lights, flowers and items that tie to the theme. This year’s theme is “Meet Me at Midnight” so each stop will be incorporating colors like navy blue, silver and gold and will have things like clouds and clocks to tie into the theme. Many students look forward to prom and have big dreams for it. Prom Committee adviser Ms. Marilyn Olson said, “We are just working hard to make that dream come to life.”  Prom has five different stops as well as the stage and main entrance that gets decorated for the dance and Grand March.

We are just working hard to make that dream come to life.

— Ms. Marilyn Olson

There is typically a fundraising component in which the Prom heads go to local businesses asking for donations to support. Prom Committee is very grateful that there is a surplus of funds this year so fundraising is not needed. This year, Prom will have ice cream and bottled water. 

When it comes to decorating for Prom, most stops have a large wood piece made by Mr. Mitch Dinse and his Woods class students. Once the wood pieces are made and delivered to the Four Seasons, each team starts to set up and get everything decorated and ready to go. Prom set up begins the Wednesday before Prom starting at about 8 a.m. and typically goes until the end of the day on Thursday. Friday is a buffer day for any final touches if they are needed. 

Once each stop is decorated, lights are laid around the track making a lighted walkway and a hired drapist comes and completes all of the draping across the ceiling which really pulls everything together.

A final light check is done and all of the visions finally come to life. Ms. Olson said, “Sometimes people on the committee get worried that it doesn’t look good, but I always assure them that once the lights go down it is absolutely beautiful.” With everything lit up and decorated, the Four Seasons really does come to life. 

Prom will take place on Saturday, April 27, at the Four Seasons Arena. Grand March will begin at 8 p.m.

Ava Flemke
Ava Flemke, Writer
Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.