47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Swinging into the season

Senior+Nathan+Theis+swings+and+makes+contact+off+a+pitch.+
Ruby Garza
Senior Nathan Theis swings and makes contact off a pitch.

The Owatonna Baseball Team looks to have a great start to the season following a tough playoff run last season. Last season the Huskies finished 10-12 after going 0-2 in playoffs. The team is coached by Mr.Tate Cummins who is in his 17th year of being the head coach. 

The Huskies have a lot of experience coming back with only losing four seniors from last season. Coach Cummins said, “With 12 seniors coming back this year it’s a huge advantage to our team. They know what to expect and know the intensity of play that needs to happen.” With the leadership and experience that has come back this season the Huskies look to compete and play at a high level. 

The team is led by three senior captains, Ethan Armstrong, Noah Truelson, and Mitch Seykora. Truelson said, “Our team has great leadership with our captains and our other leaders on the team.” Truelson is hoping for the team to have a stellar season and make a deep run in the playoffs.  

This team is something different than they have seen before. Coach Cummins said, “We have more pitching than past years. I believe that this team is a lot closer than past teams and the chemistry they have can take them far.” Baseball is a game of trust. Trusting your teammates to know that they will make the play and make the right decisions is a big part of the game. 

The chemistry that the team has will give them opportunities to make the big play and the big hit at the right moment. The Huskies also have high hopes for the season. Truelson said, “I believe our goal for this season is to win the Big 9 and ultimately the section. I believe that we have the hitting and pitching to do that.” 

The Huskies come into the season with a lot of strengths and depth in their roster. Truelson said, “I believe that we have a lot of depth on the hitting side which helps everybody stay sharp and not get too comfortable.”

The Huskies bounced back after a tough loss to Austin winning three of their last four games this past week and look to ride the streak as long as they can. The Huskies next game will be played at Mankato East Tuesday, April 16 at 5 p.m.

About the Contributors
Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.
Ruby Garza
Ruby Garza, Editor
Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class the past previous years. Garza plays for the OHS Girls Tennis team, she's also involved inKey Club, SHOC, YOLO, Student Council, Knowledge Bowl, DECA and she also manages her youth group’s Instagram. Outside of school Garza likes to hangout with friends and family, watch shows, read and explore new places. After high school she plans on going to a four year college to double major in computer science and marketing, with a possible minor in finance.