47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Jace Forcelle is a senior at Owatonna High School. Furthermore, this is his second year in Magnet. Independent of Magnet, Forcelle is a student school board representative for the Owatonna School Board...

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

OHS students prepare to take MCAs

Aurora Sim
    OHS students start MCA testing on April 16th

Every year, students take the MCAs. Many students wonder why they take them. Students will take the MCA reading, math and science test on April 16.  The MCAs give students a good picture of their progress over the years and can help the school to know what work needs to be done. Colleges also accept the information and help students eventually pass on and advance to the next course, which in the long run will save money.

Students are able to opt out of the MCAs with parent/guardian permission. However, students are marked as having a negative impact on the school and don’t get to see their progress. Some may also ask about their attendance. The absence is excused as long as you fill out the MCA opt-out form. 

The day of the MCAs will be a long day, but multiple breaks will be provided. There is an hour and a half break in between tests for sophomores, and for juniors, when they are done testing they may leave as long as they have a ride since buses are regularly scheduled. There will be space in the commons for people to work on school work if done testing. The gym will also be open for students to use. Lunch will be served as normal.

Sophomores will take the reading MCAs, and juniors will take the math. Sophomores will take science MCAs depending on if they have taken biology yet. As for college, OHS Assistant Principal Ms. Hollie Jeska said, “It is always good to take the MCAs, since colleges will get to see a good picture of where you’re at, scholarship eligibility, entrance into colleges, some will like to see what your growth looks like, and teachers can use the information.” 

There are no electronic devices during the tests or after the tests. Phones and smart watches will be collected in the commons at check-in and picked up after testing. For after the test students can bring a book, coloring sheets, or any other activity that does not require electronics. Juniors do not take an afternoon test and may leave after their room has been dismissed. 

Aurora Sim
    Aurora Sim, Writer
    Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson. She loves to advocate for autism awareness and kindness towards others. Sim plans to go to a four year college after high school, and study pre-med or mortuary science. Sim joined magnet this year to become more involved with school, and to bring in new and exciting stories.