55 °
    57 °
    59 °
    60 °
    61 °
    61 °
    61 °
    60 °
    58 °
    56 °
    54 °
    53 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
May 1
62°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
53°/ 48°
Heavy rain
May 3
66°/ 42°
Partly Cloudy

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

55 °
    57 °
    59 °
    60 °
    61 °
    61 °
    61 °
    60 °
    58 °
    56 °
    54 °
    53 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
May 1
62°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
53°/ 48°
Heavy rain
May 3
66°/ 42°
Partly Cloudy

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

OHS speech team advances eight to state meet

Photo Submitted by Marcia Anderson
The eight speech members who advanced to the state meet.

The OHS Speech team’s season is nearing its end, but the Minnesota State Speech Meet is still in sight. Last Thursday, April 11 the team attended their Section meet where 18 students advanced to finals. Eight had the honor of qualifying for the state meet. 

From Humorous Interpretation to Duos, the state qualifiers span the many different speech categories and will bring quite a few unique and intriguing acts to their next meet. Those who qualified are Ava Kleeberger, Emma Green, Calista Seiler, Nora Johnson, Vitaly Bauer, Reuel Borkenhagen, Elijah Leon and Ayoub Farah.

Many of the students advancing to state are returners who competed in past years. OHS senior speech member Emma Green said, “I am super excited to be competing at state for the second year in a row. I am hoping that I advance more than last year and make it to finals.” Green will be presenting her Duo speech based on the movie “Drop Dead Gorgeous” with her partner and captain Ava Kleeberger. They have placed with this speech at many of their previous meets, including second at Sections. This will be their second year advancing to state as a duo. 

Although most of the team is giving speeches with more lighthearted topics, the Prose category can be quite competitive and touching. OHS senior speech member Calista Seiler said, “The competition will be tough, but I know that it will be a great experience. I can’t wait to see other talented speakers and I am proud of all of my teammates who made it as well.” Seiler will be presenting her Prose speech that is about a girl losing her best friend at state. This speech has clearly been a success throughout the season as it earned her second place at Sections. 

For many of the state participants, this will be their final season of speech. OHS senior speech member Nora Johnson said, “Speech has become one of the highlights of my school year.” Johnson will be attending state for the second year in a row, and will be speaking in the Humorous Interpretation category. Her speech is about a Midwestern Tupperware party in the 1960s and has caught the eye of many judges. 

Although state will bring very difficult competition, the team has worked hard throughout the rest of their season. Some of the biggest achievements so far include placing second at the Red Wing meet, second at Sections, and being Big 9 champions. Head speech coach Marcia Anderson said, “I hope they go and have fun. I hope they go and they speak their heart out and give it their all.”

The next step for these OHS Speech members will take place this upcoming Saturday, April 20 at Shakopee High School. The state send off this Friday, April 19 at 2:50 in the OHS 3rd Floor flex space.

Luca Gfrerer
Luca Gfrerer, Writer
Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is involved in band, dance and colorguard and is a manager for the school's football team. Outside of school, Gfrerer enjoys reading, listening to music, watching movies and hanging out with her friends.